FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My brother moved oht

Lulu00
Community Member

So my brother moved out around a week ago and I knew that u would miss him a lot but i never thought it would be this bad.

Just walking past his room makes me want to cry and every so often i forget he is even gone then i remember and I just feel so crap.

Before he left he and i wanted to do something together like go iceskating or go to the movies but we never got to it and i just wish i could get that time back because i feel like it was the last moments of our childhood together.

Im always worried the next time ill see him he or i will be different and we wont know what to talk about or say to eachother, and i try to keep in touch with him but he is just getting used to university and cant talk that often. 

anyway thanks for reading my rant

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

This is the sad, difficult side of life that always has been and always will be. As you age this becomes more normal to us and therefore easily accepted. It's like friendships that ebb and flow due to circumstances beyond our control.

So to cope with this we should try to trick our minds, it is a way of introducing positive thoughts.

To do this think of things in reverse. Like- how many people dont have a sibling nor a fun loving brother? When you think that you begin to feel more gratitude for having the brother you have. Another example- you have a sore arm and for a few weeks you cant use it, you might have broken it and its in plaster... you feel sad about not being able to play netball... think about how someone may not have one or even both arms that will never have the joy of some sports. This method of mind altering thinking if perfected will eventually become natural to you and believe me- it will be the best thing that will ever happen to you.

A final example- This is a post about someone (you) that has a problem. It could be seen as a sad post. I think about the thousands of people Australia wide that will benefit from reading about your sadness and how to best deal with it. Thats a positive.

University is a humble beginning to someones life. I'm sure he will be appreciative when you next see him and ask him questions about his new life.  Always ask questions, people love being asked.

You are lucky to have a brother, I had one and lost him many years ago. They can be awesome.

TonyWK

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Lulu00

Your brother sounds like a truly beautiful person, having brought you so much joy, excitement, possibly peace  and guidance in ways, as well as so much more. He sounds like the light of your life, so brilliant in so many ways. I suppose something worth asking is 'How can I gain light, now that my light has moved some distance away, to go to uni?'.

Is there anyone else who you can sense as being a light in your life, someone warm and brilliant in certain ways? Of course, your brother may be a one in a million kind of light but there may be others who hold a similar warmth and brilliance. If you're a sensitive sort of person, perhaps it's a matter of getting a better sense of who these people could be. Try getting a feel for them. If there's no one who stands out, maybe it's a time to consider venturing out to find these kinds of people. Developing interests in things can mean joining a group or groups of people who will inspire you in some way to find the best in yourself. They may be the type of people who lead you to discover your own light, your own brilliance.

It's definitely tough when we lose, in one way or another, someone who tends to bring out the best in us. There's nothing that compares with feeling the best in our self. Whether we're feeling the excitement seeker in us, the adventurer, the clown or comedian, the motivated thrill seeker or some other part of us, finding other ways to bring the best in us to life can become the ultimate challenge. Maybe this is something you could speak to your brother about or maybe there's someone else in your life who you could ask 'How do I continue to find the best in myself now that things have changed?'. So important to continue doing it, rather than face losing those parts of our self. Perhaps even guidance counseling could be an option with this heartbreaking challenge you face on your path. ❤️