FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mid 40s and childless

John78
Community Member

Im about to turn 45 and Im currently childless and single. This had hit me so hard with the realisation that I have little chance of becoming a father. All my friends and family have kids that are well into there teens, and I feel that I've missed something in life. Even in my mid 30s, becoming a father wasnt on my mind and I didnt really think about it. Now, turning 45, its like I've woken up and its hit me straight in the face, and its now too late. When i turned 40, i had the same feeling but now im turning 45, Its killing me inside and I cant stop thinking about it. 

3 Replies 3

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi John78,

I’m confused, why would you have little chance of becoming a father? You are blessed with the luxury of being able to have children until your mid-70s at least - I think Al Pacino did just that! I am a 39 year old female and would have a child with a 45 year old male, and that seems pretty normal these days. I think you’ll find there are plenty of women in their late thirties who are battling with their own biological clock and would love to find a man who is wanting to have kids. My dad didn’t have my older sister until he was 40 and had me when he was 45. Which meant that he was 65 when I was 20 and that seemed fine to me, he wasn’t a particularly “old” dad and used to do all the fun stuff with us, roller blading, going on rides at the show etc. now that I’m 45 he’s starting to get old but no older than friends fathers and he’s still pretty fit and healthy, and you’re meant to be old when you’re children are 45. I know of plenty of childhood pals who’s parent died when they were in high school for various reasons (cancer, heart attack etc) and I have been blessed to have my dad for as long as I have. What I’m saying is that you have more time left than you think, life is unpredictable, if you want kids, have kids. Surely the most important thing is they are raised in a loving home by someone who wants them. 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi John

I can understand your concerns as they relate to some of the torment my brother faced when he had to make the decision whether or not to have a child in his mid 50s. He faced some of the inner dialogue that dictated 'It's too late', 'I'm not as young as I used to be. Will I have the energy?', 'Is this a challenge I'm prepared to face at this time in my life?' and the list went on. It was a massive decision that really tormented him in a lot of ways. Having married a younger woman who'd decided she didn't want kids, she changed her mind in her 30s, suddenly developing to compulsion to have a child. This was a compulsion I also personally didn't feel 'til I hit 30. Compared to most women I knew, I was a gal who was a late starter.

From a purely logical point of view (feelings aside), would make sense to be attracted to younger women (maybe in their late 20s or somewhere in their 30s), if you want to become a dad. If you're not too concerned in how you become a loving and guiding father to a child, maybe adoption or fostering will be your path with a partner in the future. You never know, you could come to be one of the greatest foster dads in the history of fostering, changing the lives of so many kids, for the better. Imagine that, kids growing up to tell people 'If it wasn't for John, I wouldn't be the person I am today. If it wasn't for him I would never have found the best in myself'.

Life would definitely be so much easier with a crystal ball. If we could see the course of our life, it would in some ways put our mind at ease. If you could see yourself with a younger woman who you love so much and who loves you, it would be reassuring. If you could see yourselves both loving your child or children so wholeheartedly and so joyfully while being able to also see all the ways in which they will come to raise you, you would have nothing to worry about. You may even be excited. You'd simply track down the woman you see in that crystal ball, so as to begin the process. Just because you can't see for now, doesn't mean the path to fatherhood is not there for you. It may already be in place.

Waking up/becoming more conscious can be so tormenting at times. Enlightenment is not always an easy thing to manage. Having manged a number of depressing challenges throughout my 52 years, one of the important things I've learned comes down to 'Now that I'm more conscious, what am I going to do with this higher state of consciousness? Will I use it or will I suffer through it?'. Have faith in your ability to use it.

🙂

John78
Community Member

Thanks Juliet

I cant explain why I feel this way but I think its got to do with all my friends already having children, and even my own brothers kids nearing the end of high school and he is only a year older.

I just keeping thinking that im wanting to start something that I should have done 15 yrs ok.

Even finding someone, ill be 46-47 with my first child.

I feel terrible about it.