FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I want a healthy romantic relationship

Artybel
Community Member

It’s been over 2 years since my ex partner and I broke up, in that time I have been on only a handful of dates, not because I don’t want to be dating but because it just takes so much out of me when it doesn’t work out. Though I came to terms with my feelings and even stayed in touch with 2 of them it still really hurts, not because I thought they were the one… but cos I slept with some of them thinking it was the beginning of a relationship only to discover the next day/s later that they weren’t after anything serious (despite the fact that we had talked for hours earlier and there seemed to be a genuine connection. I met these guys through the online dating apps and I made sure that on my profile I listed all the things I was looking for (long term relationship, no one night stand, monogamous etc) but it seems like none of them took much notice. 
Lately my depression and anxiety seem so much harder to deal with, now that I’m 44 I think I might be on the verge of menopause and/or my medication needs to change. I also know I have anxious attachment which really makes it hard to not overthink when dating.

How do you all navigate this? I just want a loving and supportive partner, I hate having to date and the dating apps just seem so unreliable, plus I barely get any interaction on it anyway. I wish there was a free dating site that was for “people looking for healthy relationships”.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I do understand the frustration and hurt, however dating apps, unlike in my dating days, eliminates many of the ones you are not suitable to. That is a huge short sut to finding someone so I would persist.

What is happening is that once you find someone suitable you are breaking down from then on. You have to make it clear you are not after a one night stand and also set up talking together on the phone many times before you meet, get to know the person. By sleeping with them early you put yourself at risk of being hurt. Make them prove to you that they are after someone for life and they are serious. Try not to sell yourself short.

Seek a GP appointment for your medication change. 

All the best

TonyWK

Thanks so much for your reply, this is great advice and I’ll definitely implement it. I did sign up again and have just started my first conversation with someone. I did book an appointment with a new doctor and had it last week, I’ve got another one this week. Fingers crossed I’m getting back on track 🤞