FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Community Manager
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Boyfriend broke up with me due to mental health (gay couple)

Gooigi
Community Member

I met my boyfriend last September. I have never had a stronger connection with someone.

I cannot believe how drastically the relationship changed within the space of a week.

He lost his job and after about 6 weeks of unemployment he stopped being kind, responding to my messages and lost interest in me.

Naturally I assumed he was getting over me, but he told me he wasn't and that he was just so sad about not having a job.

This was helpful because I realised it wasn't about me. It meant I could focus on him better. All I asked was that he could respond to my messages no matter how depressed he was feeling.

I was trying so hard to support him: preparing him meals for the week, doing his groceries and just trying to make him laugh. But he found me overbearing. I was feeling so unappreciated despite how hard I was trying.

This made me overextend more, which I think was making him feel worse.

He didn't improve his communication with me and my anxiety was getting so bad. There is no other way to put it: he was treating me like shit. 

I was desperate for things to get back to the way they were so I decided that would go on a break with him to give him space to focus on himself. However, I couldn't work out how to do it without making him more sad. 

He was finally realising (after 2.5 months of this depressive episode) how sad i was becoming in the relationship. He suggested that we break up so that he could focus on himself. The next day I was sad, but I wasn't anxious anymore so I felt like it was a positive step.

The gist of the break up was that we would revisit the relationship in a month to see if he is in a better headspace. I told him that i would find it really hard if i saw him on a dating app, he responded saying "I don't even feel like having sex with my own boyfriend, I'm not about to start dating".

A couple of days later, I must have been feeling particularly self destructive because I decided to download grindr to see if i could find my boyfriend, which I did... I was crushed. 

I messaged him because I wanted to clarify whether he actually had any intention of getting back together with me but he never responded. I am so hurt that he can't even do this.

Maybe I am naive, but I still believe he wants to get back together when he is better. I know it's his depression but he has been so cruel. I don't even know if I COULD date him anymore after this, as much as I want to restore what we had.

1 Reply 1

Karen0901
Community Member

While you were well meaning, when people are depressed they often have difficulty responding to loved ones in a way they. I think that might be the problem here. It sounds like you wanted to 'fix' him and he was having trouble being the person you wanted. Depression can have a long recovery. He may of been feeling like he couldn't be there for you emotionally in the way you need.