FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Being their for pregnant wife

Nissan9
Community Member

Hi All been together with my wife for 10 years and my wife is currently 2 months pregnant i am struggling with knowing how to be there for her. She already struggling herself with crazy tiredness and emotions going everywhere which is common with pregnancy and nothing I say or do seems to help just makes the situation worse. Sometimes i don't say anything then still seems to cause issue, i feel like i am sucking so bad at being their for her and its driving me nuts. 

If anyone has any ideas no matter what please help thanks

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Nissan9~

Welcome back and I cant's say I'm surprised both you and your wife are finding this strange territory difficult. As some people seem to sail though pregnancy and others have a pretty hard time I can only speak from my own experience, others many have better ideas.

My wife found her body did not behave as it always used to, that her emotions swung wildly and there was of course the worry of the delivery, the health of the baby and what life would be lie after. She also worried about me.

I found on many occasions it was not possible to have a sensible logical conversation and was often tempted to be cross. I quickly learned however the only answer to many situations was to cut across all the conversation, tell my wife I loved her and made her a cup of tea (not in the best china). If I could make her laugh that was a bonus.

I also called on her mum to come over frequently.

Doing household chores helped, as did accompanying her to the ante-natal classes. I also used to buy crates of ginger ale, as my wife felt nauseous for a pretty long time.

It is a difficult time, I wish all three of you the best

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Nissan9~

I"m sorry for the delay, I was not able to post before. I've been thinking about your situation - and that of your wife and have an additional suggestion -my apologies if you have already thought of this.

PANDA (1300 726 306) is a very professional  organisation that supports the mental health and well-being of expecting, new and growing families. This includes people in your situation too

There is a lot of information there plus a helpline Mondays to Saturdays.

You might find all the information of use, plus also being able to talk to a person who is well experienced.

Croix