FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Brain zaps

tassiedevil
Community Member
Hi, Im 56 throughout my life I have suffered with depression from early 20's until now. I have recently been commenced on a new medication which has helped in some ways for me, but my dose was increased (10 days ago)and last night (now 18:00)I experienced a 'brain zap' at least I think that was what it was. I was in a deep sleep and woken by what felt like a jolt of electricity coming from inside my brain through my forehead. It was very distressing and greatly concerned me. I can still actually feel where it seemed to hit my forehead. All the reading I have done says that it is a side effect coming off some medications. I have found nothing that anyone has shared about it happening to them increasing the medication dose. I am sort of happy with the way I am feeling on this medication( at least on the smaller dose and prior to this experience) I know from the experience of commencing this medication that the side effects dissipated for me about week 4 (now week 5 and 3 days) I want to give the increase dose a chance, but the way the zap impacted me has made me fearful about going to sleep. It was that frightening. I live rurally and am on Newstart, attempting to get my things organised to apply for DSP. My GP is a 160km return trip and I see my psychiatrist(whom I have to see via Psych2U on skype once a month for half an hour and am not scheduled to see for just under three weeks. ) I only began seeing a psychiatrist as my Psychologist is not a Clinical Psyhcologist, so for DSP I have to have a report by a psychiatrist. I am not that happy with the psychiatrist and my GP is aware, as the psychiatrist asked me how work was, even though known that I was on Newstart, and then suggested I consider moving into an over 55s retirement village.(my worst nightmare) This psychiatrist is in Sydney and it appears he has no idea of reality of life in a rural remote area, nor does this psychiatrist have any understanding or made any effort to know me or my life. sigh. I managed to speak up last time as the psychiatrist was 10mins late, then after he talked for a bit about the medication he was winding up , and I said I have some things I need to say, and told him how I felt about his comments. I felt like just a name on a list. he sort of apologised. any way I am concerned about the brain zap and and why i am experiencing it on increasing not coming off the medication thanks De
3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

I've never felt that very alarming symptom.

I suggest you start making some phone calls to- your GP, psych, nearest hospital and so forth.

TonyWK

CKS
Community Member

I strongly agree with WhiteKnight!!!

Let us know how you go.

CKS

tassiedevil
Community Member

thank you CKS and whiteknight. It only happened once the brain zap I was not able to see my GP or Psychiatrist for a while so I am appreciative that it seems to be a one off. appreciate your input.