FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not coping after disclosure

startingnew
Community Member

Please help me. Im really struggling.

last night i disclosed something that ive kept with me for 2 years now. Im already struggling with ptsd anxiety and depression but the event that i disclosed also comes under ptsd.

I rang a hotline and the first time in 2 years ive spoken about it and im so embarrassed and ashamed. I hate myself and blame myelf for it. And im terriffied! !

3,980 Replies 3,980

hey

thank you for welcoming me into the community. i quite like being here 🙂

ive decided to see my psych weekly even though i know how hard its going to be every single session.

i actually feel ok to to tell you the story of what happened..

it all started when i was 16 when my mother got her new boyfriend. it didnt happen straight away during the relationship. he seemed really nice and caring and i never really had a father figure to look up to before so i was quite happy to just take on his advice etc just like a father- daughter relationship but after a while some true colours started to show and when my mu would go out, he would often say i coud stay at home with him and at first it was ok, i would just stay in my room and do what normal teenagers do ( study, listen to music, read a book etc) but one day that changed. he called me down to the lounge room ( we had upstairs bedrooms and bathroom and downstairs kitchen bathroom lounge room set up, so anyway he called me down to the lounge room and made me watch 'dirty' film clips and i said i didnt want to and he said well ill just tell your mother tat i caught you watching these when she gets home so i had to watch them, i tried not to watch them by just looking at the walls etc but i still had to stay there and i was too afraid to say something as why would people trust teenagers over an adult hey....then one day he called me down again and made me watch it again but afterwards i had to get undressed and one thing after another. i was so afraid and again didnt want to say anything as why would they beleive a teenager over an adult. they would just think im lying. this happened a few more times and it killed me each and every time to know that i was allowing this to happen.it finally ended when she left him through other factors (being violent) and now thats been dealt with but it still haunts me every day and i often worry whether itll happen to me again, or worse i now have younger sisters so i constanlty worry about it happenign to them.it still haunts me everyday, and kills me just that little bit more inside each and every day. it makes me feel so ashamed, and dirty and like a complete dissapointment.

you're not a disappointment .whatever you do . you were the victim.

My dear innocent girl;

I cried when I read your story above. I feel so much compassion towards you right now, because I 'know' exactly how you feel; I've lived it. I'd like to give you wisdom that was never given to me in the hope it helps you in your recovery.

You haven't said if you've disclosed this to your mother; is this what you mean by 'it's been dealt with now'? The reason I ask, is that mother's aren't so much equipped to deal with this sort of issue, but they're wonderful to cry on.

If you haven't yet, the words you begin with when you do have the courage is; "I need my mother. I don't know if I can get thru this without you" She'll probably need to seek counselling for herself, but that's a step in the right direction for you both. Secrets are toxic...

Men like 'him' groom parents before they groom children. Your mum is a victim too. They scout for vulnerable single mothers to prey on, instilling false trust so her children will ultimately be left alone with them. Polarising tactics they use like violence and love, creates confusion...on purpose.

Enticing you to watch x rated dvd's, (making you a so-called accessory) is abuse (as well as a crime) and part of the grooming process. He needed for you to feel ashamed, dirty and blemished to make you self blame.

In my case, my body felt pleasure. That haunted me like a lead yoke around my neck; I was 11 and never spoke those words until I was in my late 30's, to a clinical psychologist.

He told me this was normal as the body/mind detach during this type of trauma. (Fight, flight, freeze response) Needless to say I wept like a baby and grieved from my heart for the decades I thought I was born a whore.

It's going to be a long road ahead. PTSD symptoms (including anxiety) can be managed, especially because of early intervention on your part. So congratulations! You're mighty, mighty! It takes courage to find your voice at such a young age.

I'll continue to support you by checking in when I can. Ask me anything ok? Re you being a disappointment; how would you respond to your sister if she thought this about herself? Now say it to yourself...

I'm bloody proud of you for speaking up! You and your mum were conned by a very experienced predator, end of story.

Warm and gentle thoughts...

Sara

Dear Startingnew (terrific name by the way),

You have already received much insightful advice. But I need to butt in just to say how impressed I am with your courageous attitude. Being an ex sexual abuse victim, I know all too well that being open and proactive takes guts. Dirty and a disappointment ?? I think not. It is clear who the dirty, disappointing one is here.

As dependent children and youngsters, we are left with little choice. The ball just isn't in our camp. Added to the rest, this feeling of helplessness and isolation is horrible.

I hope you are proud of yourself for initiating a turnaround. Rest assured you will be supported and cheered on every step of the way.

My thoughts are with you.

thank you . your support means alot to me!

aww im sorry i didnt mean to make you sad 😞 im sorry 😞

i havent actaully told my mum the full story, but she knows alittle bit.

its been dealt with the correct way and everyone else is safe. i dont really want to elaborate to much on it except that its ok now and everyone else is safe.

im 21 now.... ive just tried to hide it and block it all out.

i also have severe gad, severe depression, social anxiety, healh anxiety and ptsd from another event as well. im also a carer for my pop and my 2 younger sisters

did you have to tell your gp and get those 'tests done. i havent told my gp yet- im a chicken- but ive been told that even if i havent been 'active' i should still get the tests done when i hit 21 anyway....

i havent told my psych about it yet either- again im a chicken

i cant be in a room with a male on my own and i cant be in a room with 2 males at all.

i cant look at myelf anymore- all i see is shame, guilt and dissapointment.

it makes me feel very sick every time i think about it.

i had the same physical sensation as you and i was so guilty and scared from it, despite being 16 so i was aware of what was going on but its totally different experiencing it rather than learning in in pdhpe classes esp this way so i guess i thought everything was normal.

i had a boyfriend at 14 but we broke up after 6 month adn before this happened but i often woner whether this was his intentions too. i havent had a relationship since 14. im too scared to be touched even by females which i weird but i guess i have to go with it.

has it affected your relationships too?

my mum has a new boyfriend, soon too be hsuband and he has a totally different feel about him and he acts very differently- prob sound stupid and hope it makes sense. i still cant leave my sisiters with men not even my pop for gods sake!!

hi starwolf,

i cant help but feel this way even though i know i wasnt in the wrong, i just cant help it. i cant even look at myself anymore- all i see is guilt, and shame 😞

i cant get over the feeling?

did you have to go for those 'tests' too and did it affect your relationships as well?

Hey startingnew

That took an incredible amount of strength to write

You really are an amazing person

Im really happy that Sara and Starwolf are here to be with you

my kindest

Paul

thanks you

yes it took a fair amount to carefully work it as well to go with the commnity guideline but i got it there in the end.

i wouldnt say im amzing but thank you 🙂