FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

I don't talk about my anxiety with my offline friends

Photography_lover
Community Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Jess and I'm 23 years old. I love doing photography as its a passion of mine, love animals, love walking/doing exercise, cooking and being with family and friends.

I have been with this pesky mental illness, anxiety, since late 2014. I recently came onto the internet looking for forums and found this website. I got sucked into reading the anxiety forum a few days ago and I thought it was about time I made an appearance as we're not alone in this world.

I'd love to chat to those who are experiencing some sort of anxiety and hope to make new friends as I don't talk about my anxiety with my real friends.

Hope to chat soon, Jess 🙂

109 Replies 109

Thanks SN! Like I've said before, I'm proud of it and it's now up on the wall.

Wow, I didn't even think about changing my photo every week. I guess I could do that. I have heaps to show!

How was your weekend?

yes it most certainly does belong on a wall!

i wish we could upload pics onto here. id love to see your photos

my weekend was super busy as per usual, tried to get a day off but it didnt happen.

how was your weekend? what did you get up to?

And I'd love to share them with you all.

Thats alright, maybe this weekend you might get a break?

My weekend was good, busy night at work Saturday night, and caught up with my friends. Started my business course today.. a lot of work involved but it will be worth it. Hows your course(s) going?

Hey PL

thanks heaps for posting back to everybody 🙂

Japanese Maple.....thats what I was struggling for the other day...lol....

I hope you have been reasonably well and great to see you on the forums. Good on you for starting your new business course today too!

my kindest

Paul aka Nikon P900 🙂

nope, no rest for the wicked. ive got the kids all over the weekend yet again 😞

its kinda embarassing really but im trying to change that.

my courses are going good. im up to the second module for both the courses now and have passed the first assessment task for both courses so far.

Hey Paul,

No problems 🙂

I have been well although this new course has kind of taken it's toll on me.. meeting new people and being in a classroom for 5 hours a day isn't going so well.. I'm not use to sitting for long periods of the day but I'm hoping to get used to it. Ever since I started I have been having on and off stomach cramps due to the anxiety. There is alot to do in a small business course and it hasn't sunk in yet I don't think.

Hey SN,

I hope the kids make you smile even though you don't want them there.

Oh thats awesome news! Sounds like you're enjoying them? Keep at it and it'll all be worth it.

Hey PL

Once you have a routine established the anxiety will dissipate. I had the same situation in my last couple of positions at work. I did have my GP booked a couple of times as a support person when I started a new job...he was a gem.

Just a thought PL....if you think there may be value having a mini talk with your doc during the early stages.

Stomach cramps can be a nuisance especially when you are starting anything new. A very common basic anxiety symptom. The digestive system is the most sympathetic to stress or anxiety. Having some toast for brekky used to help me...with a glass of milk to settle down my stomach too. But thats just what worked for me of course

Its still early days for you PL....You are an intelligent, bright and proactive person....You will do well 🙂

my kind thoughts for you

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm glad to hear you can relate in some way and thank you for the kind words. Was a little worried you wouldn't understand me. Couldn't agree with you more on the routine bit. Us humans are made to have routine in our lives and once that is taken away from us, we feel lost.

I'll be seeing another psychologist (first one was pricey) next week as well as my doctor. Feels like forever since I seen them.

They are nuisance.. and it only happens in the afternoons/evenings, they just come out of nowhere. I am also talking to a new friend (he's male) and its been a while since I made friends with a male.. so I think thats a part of the reason to why I'm going through this. It's normal and definitely good to make new friends but each male I make friends with, I end up dating (there's only been 2) so I'm a little scared. Both of the males that I'm friends with are ex's and they are good friends. So I'm sure it'll figure itself out with this new guy; some borderlines need to be made eventually.

Anyway, thanks for listening 🙂

startingnew
Community Member

Hey PL

sorry I havent been around these past few days. I ended up having to go to hospital. But im ok now, jus another mental breakdown- I call these eye openers as each time I go I seem to learn something new, something different and open my eyes to what is going on. Clear my mind as such.

Im hearing you about the anxiety in a classroom. My advice would be to, even if its hard, speak to some of your class mates. Being able to talk to them, discuss and throw a few ideas around can make the class go quicker and also more constructive as your having more fun. You might even be able to form a study buddy or study group. You can also become friends with them, it doesnt all just have to be about the work.

If you start to fall behind, or your struggling with your work, talk to the teacher- mentor who is running it. Get some ideas off them, let them know that your struggling to adjsut and can you hav some tips. More often then not they are willing to help you. It doesnt make you the 'teachers pet' either as some might think. So dont worry about that either.

As Paul has said, stomach cramps are quite common in people with anxiety and his suggestion to speak to your gp sounds like a good idea. They are able to help with support, encourgament and might be able to give you some more ideas as well as maybe provide an anti-nausea tablet just to help settle it.

Remember to take time out for yourself as well, dont pile everything on top of you and you could even plan your day and make sure you put in that hour or two to be doing fun stuff and plan stdy breaks by going for a walk, or having a snack break. Too much information all at one go can be quite overwhelming but if you break it down it can become more manageable for you.

I hope your going ok, rememeber we are always here for you and encouraging on your way.
I agree that your a smart and intelligent person as well as kind and caring.

Sending you lots of warm, encouraging and supportive hugs you way
xoxox

startingnew
Community Member

oops sorry PL didnt see that last post to Paul about friends.

i think its really great that your making friends, even if its a male. just remember you dont have to date them, you can just be friends 🙂