FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Which website should I recommend - Beyondblue or YouthBeyondBlue?

violetrose
Community Member

Hello,

My friend is 24 years old and suffering from depression. She is not interested in looking at any websites that have information after information of writing and is written in professional and distancing type of language. I was looking at what websites to recommend her and came across BeyondBlue and YouthBeyondBlue. I know that youthbeyondblue is recommended for young people up to 25 years old. but my friend is pretty much around this age. So would you recommend her looking at the youthbeyondblue website or the beyondblue website? What makes these two websites different? Is the information/content different or are they basically the same, but written in a more adult friendly way whereas the other website is written in a way that young adults would relate more to? I just wanted advice on this before bombarding her with too many websites which may dissuade her from trying to get better with her depression. Thank you so much.

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Violentrose, I just lost my reply, however, we both learn from each other so either section would be suitable, but if she clicks on 'Get Support' and scroll down until she sees 'Publications to download or order' which will provide information on any type of depression, would be a good start,

Then she could read the particular section like depression, anxiety which can be found by clicking on 'All Posts'.

Both ages communicate with each other.

BB has a phone number she can ring 1300 22 4636 or Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 up to the age of 25 years old.

I hope that's a start.

Geoff.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi violetrose,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for being here.

Here are some of the things that stands out for me -

- The YBB (Youth Beyond Blue) site does have sections on things like grief and loss, family problems, low self-esteem where as the BB site doesn't.

- The wording is very much different and aims to be more relatable to young people using lots of examples and pictures so it's easier to read.

- The personal stories and experiences of mental health issues are from young people.

Both of them link up to the online forums (which is what you're typing on now) as we have a section for young people too.

The other site you could recommend is www.headspace.org.au that also has lots of topics and in more detail. The only catch there though is that your friend would only be able to get counselling until she turns 25 and then go on to other services.

I hope this helps! It's so great that you're here looking for support for your friend.