FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

So Alone and Depressed

Loveanimals
Community Member

Hi

I am so down and depressed about life.  I have been doing a lot to look after others (which I do not resent; these people are the only ones in my life I truly care about).  Nobody in my family cares.  I have been struggling all of my life and my close family are just absent.  Mind you they always come to me with their problems.  

I am tired of everything.  Tired of running a household, stressing over my son....tired of having to be responsible for every damn thing.  I never have a social outing.  Nobody ever makes me a nice meal or does anything to reduce the drudgery of my existence.  I constantly worry about my son and about finances etc.  There really is nothing nice in my life.  I am absolutely trapped.

I have posted here many times and it is groundhog day.  The only time I get any peace is when I am asleep.  I have nice dreams but wake up realising none of that is reality.  

I have tried everything known to man to help.  Doctors, counsellors, psychiatrists, psychologists.....medications; diet and exercise...all to no avail.  I truly think I am just broken inside from all of the trauma and negativity that life has thrown at me from day one.  

I won't give up.   I have two very important people in my life whom I would never do that to.  However it is a daily struggle.  I do not know what I have done to deserve any of this.  I don't even know who I am or what I want.  Other than financial freedom of course.  But even if I had that I would still be lost.  Absolutely nothing excites or motivates me anymore.  I know that losing two beautiful dogs last year just about killed me.  I want another dog so much but cannot afford one.  

I will struggle on.  I appreciate anything anyone can advise.  I am sorry to be this way but I simply cannot help myself.

3 Replies 3

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Love is found in what one receives, but equally (if not more so) in what one gives. Treat yourself occasionally with a 'nice meal' or some pampering to help balance the ledger.

I also like to 'borrow' friends' (and complete strangers'!) pets - a sort of 'rent' scheme paid for in pats for a much needed canine fix of unconditional love.

I guess I am just totally out of balance as I give constantly and get zero in return.  I do always approach sweet dogs when I see them as I absolutely love them so.  I am thinking of rescuing one next year once I have more money.  I have been totally miserable since losing my beloved girl in December.  I adore my cat but it's not the same as having a dog...cats are nowhere near as affectionate!  Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated. xx

Pet owner feeds dog...
Dog looks up lovingly thinking "All this is for me? My owner must be a god!"
Pet owner feeds cat...
Cat thinks to itself, "All this is for me? I must be a god!"

But there are exceptions in animals as surely also in people. I had a cat 'adopt' me as a stray kitten (no accounting for taste!) and its loyalty and affection were unquestionable.

Then again, I later 'inherited' a mature aged cat that was the most irritating primadonna - funny thing I learned about myself was how poorly my reactions and expectations were so easily manipulated when not receiving appreciation I somehow felt was deserved.

Dogs, from my experience, seem to have a remarkable tolerance for us fallible humans and expect very little in return; indeed, my dogs taught me much about the simpler joys in life.

Have you considered becoming a foster carer for Guide dog puppies? It could be an economical alternative as everything is provided, but the hard part would be handing them back at the finish!