FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Rejecting support and feeling alone

Lady_Phoenix
Community Member

Hi there,

i suffer from generalised anxiety disorder as well as mild depression. Recently I have found myself saying no to any suggestions that is thrown at me and I want to find strategies to stop that, because it is hurting loves ones I cherish.

A lot has happened in my life from upset and broken families, to an unhappy job, grief, worrying about friends, finances many things.

I just want some help from people that have maybe been where I’m at and have seen the lifhr through the darkness. I want to be a happy and stronger me, not pushing away people that are trying to help.

Anything is greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lady Phoenix, (like your name)

Welcome to the forum. This is a friendly, supportive and caring place.

Thanks for writing your posts and reaching out.

You ave been through a lot of stress and grief in your life.

Sometimes we say no to new suggestions because we have tried a lot and they haven't worked.

I used to feel overwhelmed with people offering me strategies, some helpful some not so helpful. It can be exhausting. Then I would feel guilty for upsetting people to close to me.

You write you have been saying no recently , has something happened that has made you want to say no.?

If you browse the the different threads you will find topics that may help.

Forums/Anxiety/ SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY , has many different ideas that other people have fund helpful.

Sometimes you have to try a few things to work out what works for you. The more you know about yourself and your anxiety and depression the more you may find out what things help and what things don't.

Feel free to post here as much as you like and let us know how you are going.

Quirky

thegreatestgame
Community Member

Hi Lady Phoenix, I'm not sure if I'll be much help since I'm still mostly in the same position as you. For me accepting help is an admission that I need help or deserve help which is a really hard thing to admit.

I only really asked for help a few days ago after over a decade of pushing people away. I wanted to do it myself to prove to myself that I didn't need anyone else and for the longest time I lied to myself thinking it was working.

Last week I hit one of my lowest lows and finally admitted that I can't do it myself. It was hard. It took me a few days to build up the courage to even look, but I found this forum and started reading the good and the bad things that other people have experienced and I haven't found anyone who did it alone.

It took another couple of days of staring at my phone before I finally called my sister. Eventually I realised that if I kept looking at my phone I would never get help so I called before I could stop myself. Once she answered it was too late to back out. That was really hard.

I explained what was going on and we talked about some options which gave me something to focus on.

If you're not comfortable asking family or friends for help this forum is a good stepping stone. From there maybe try your GP or one of the help lines. Dial the number before your mind can talk yourself out of it, I'm positive the person on the other end will give you all the time you need.