FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recently diagnosed with bipolar

Jen27
Community Member

Hi i was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and high anxiety 15 years ago and have been struggling ever since. 2 weeks ago a psychiatrist diagnosed me with bipolar.

I'm feeling very confused and don't know what to make of this. I've researched a lot on bipolar on line and keep going back and forth in my mind on whether I agree with her diagnosis or not.

I was hoping I might be able to reach out to others here that might relate and help me understand what this diagnosis means. I guess I'm just feeling a bit lost and looking for guidance. Hope that's ok.

3 Replies 3

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jen27,

It must be very confusing after many years having one diagnosis to now have any other one.

Have you spoken to your psychiatrist and explained how you feel and asked why you have the new diagnosis.?

i do not have any medical expertise just a lived experience of over 40 years of having bipolar.

People with bipolar can experience it differently, some people rapid cycle that is one day or every few days they cycle from depression to mania and back again.

Other people may go weeks of being high then weeks of low.

Have you checked out the black dog institute website as it has much information on bipolar.

There is a thread here called this bipolar life and you are more than welcome to have a look and post and ask questions,

i also find keeping a notebook of your moods so you see if there is a pattern.

Thanks for your post and feel free to keep this discussion going.

There is bipolar 1 and 2 . Do you know which one your psych has diagnosed you as.

Quirky

Hi Quirky thanks for your reply.

I actually just got back from seeing a second psychiatrist (my psychologist suggested getting a second opinion) and she agreed bipolar 2.

She's printed out some information for me and an example of a mood diary. I'll check out black dog website too.

Thanks for inviting me to the thread. I'm sure I might have a question or two after I get through all the reading.

Jen

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jen

I am glad you got second opinion.

the first post in the bipolar thread is interesting and read a bit or more and feel free to post anytime.

Take care

quirky