FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ls it healthier to work and live while having depression , or is there a centerlink disability pension, and if so , which is healthier ?

Guest_1584
Community Member

Hey people .

l've met people on all kinds of Centerlink disability things over the yrs but can you get onto something due to depression ?

But then as in the title , maybe it's actually healthier for you to actually be out there in life and working and functioning ? - bloody hate that word but it's the only description l could think of . So what does everyone do , and which do they find is better ?

At one stage through a really bad patch l just didn't feel l could work or cope. So l asked Centerlink they told me l'd have to see the gp , get referrals ,go and get assessments and all kinds of other things can't remember exact details , but it was a nightmare l'd worry that l'd spend wks or mths putting myself through and then maybe get nothing anyway. But ok l'll just start with the gp and see where that goes first. And they told me it could get me 3mths , what, 3mths, but then l'd have to do it all again to get an extension or another 3mths and then again , and again , or some rubbish can't remember the exact details but it sounded far worse than the alternative and just struggling on to me.

Well, what a useless stressing , draining effort that was , here's a grown man in the mess l was in felt like l just couldn't even go on let alone cope or do real life , work , pressures buttt, saw a gp yet all he said was l'll give you a certificate for 2 days off . Two days, wt - to keep it polite here, 2 days l needed 2 wks just from the stress of dealing with him that once , without adding in my real problems. He wouldn't even give me a referral for the next step. Acted like there was nothin wrong with me meanwhile l'm wondering if l wanted to go on l mean that's the state l was in.

Centerlink also wanted me to enroll with a job agency and so here l was having to tell some 19yr old girl with a button and computer and the power to send me packing with no damn clue how  l was or living , threatening to stop any payment if l didn't jump through their hoops too in the meantime, it was insanity .And all that took about 2 wks of stress driving sitting round waiting and explaining myself over and over and what little money l had at the time on petrol , it was a nightmare and left me in worse shape than l started.

rx

103 Replies 103

Guest_1584
Community Member

Yeah Geoff for sure.

Only today l was thinking that and realizing new things coming out the last few yrs. The trouble is , proving them and going through everything that'd take , to get disability.

l've noticed my Dyslexia getting far worse last few yrs, l can be looking right at things and just not see them all the time lately or numbers at work, measurements or calculations, even tools, all the time it's worse than it's ever been. l also notice it takes very very little to over come me mentally, things l would've easily coped with just a few yrs ago. l've noticed so many things within myself just getting worse and worse lately that it scaring me a bit tbh.

The thing is bc if l have to keep working or l'm forced to, l just don't know hth l'll manage it. Really hoping that some things l have brewing come to tuition bc l have no clue at this rate how l'm going to get by for another 10 yrs if they don't. Grits teeth.

rx

Guest_1584
Community Member

The strangest thing is though, that l've cut back so much this yr. l haven't even had fires so no firewood. Cut back on some other very time and laboring consuming things too and also threw out some nagging side projects, plus l've only worked not even 1/2 the yr. Yet MH issues have gotten worse when l was doing 3x this last yr and before , so obviously l was expecting a huge improvement but they're worse than ever.

Can't work that out.

rx

Hi RX,

Sorry to hear the MH issues have been worse lately. MH challenges can take up a lot of energy - sometimes not leaving much left for the day to day challenges (especially work).

I hope you are doing ok and keep us posted.

take care,

LL

Thanks for that lilly.

rx