FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How are you coping with your thoughts today?

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

Each moment of every day, we have thoughts darting around in our minds. When I stop to consider the ramblings that are occurring, I realise just how much negativity and destruction is sometimes involved in my thought process. If I leave these thoughts unchecked, allow them to proceed further, if I don't acknowledge of challenge them, I can soon find myself struggling mentally.

How do you proceed once you realise your thoughts and mind are drifting off to a place you would rather not be?

71 Replies 71

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Dools and everyone, 

I have a lot on my plate atm - or as always - but I'm doing ok. 

Spoke with my Counsellor about me wanting to jump ship from work but being far from able to do that financially. I decided on a kind of 5y plan to organise other work / income streams?
Still have a long FAT mortgage, paying on my own etc etc. 

I'm trying to keep to myself at work, impossible though with clients lol. The clients are AWESOME. It's the majority of the colleagues I can't be bothered trying to figure out. I won't list their attributes, trying to work out what's wrong with them is way above my pay grade lol. 

When I focus on the clients I feel happier at work, my career feels more rewarding and I'm way more efficient. 
The other has me using every anxiety calming technique known to me. 

Doing ok! 
Love EM

Down-Mum
Community Member

Dools,

this sounds so much like me at the moment. I wake up feeling ok then the littlest bit of stress and the the bl.-dy hell out. Worst case is my husband is the company owner as I am and we work together so stuff round here lately isn’t too good 🙃😏😔🥺 happy for anything or advice to help this head get better than the crap that arrives at times. 

Take Care Dools. 
Trace Xxoo 

Hi Em,

I'm really struggling at work due to my 2 co-workers and their negativity towards me. Being kind and respectful to them is not working. 

Yesterday I found myself being rude and negative back to them and snappy. Not good.

Having really dark thoughts at work and battling to get through the day. Felt like crying all day...not a good look at reception!

I found a quote on Facebook this morning" Bullies are not just teenagers, they are also adults in offices who think they have the right to break the spirits of others so they can feel better about their miserable lives." Iam going to print it up and put it near my computer at work.

How do you shut out the horridness of fellow work mates?

I wish you well in trying to stay at work. I need to learn to just shut them out and turn my depressive and even worse thoughts off.

Work should not be such a struggle!

Hi Trace,

Wish I had some answers for you. People tell me to just ignore it, to turn the thoughts off, to think of something else, to be aware that I allow my own thoughts to turn negative, that only I can allow myself to reach that state.

If I and everyone else in this world was able to control their thoughts like that there would be no mental health issues, no need for places like Beyond Blue, no mental health hospitals. No psychiatirists, psychologist or therapist.

For me life is not that simple. I sympathise for you. I work with 2 dragon ladies 3 days a week and the reaction their words and behaviour have on me makes me contemplate not ever breathing again being a nicer scenario than working with them.

I have no answers for you regarding working with your husband. I hope you do have opportunities to destress outside of work. 

Down-Mum
Community Member

Dools,

thank you! This all makes sense that’s for sure, I have people (family) send me

messages every morning saying positive thoughts and crap like that! I think it just makes my blood boil! If I could control the thoughts none of us would be on these pages. 

work sounds horrible for you, do you have the option of leaving and finding a new job or someone higher up that will help support you and sort the dragon ladies out?

here for a chat anytime

Trace xxoo

Trace and Dools yes when people say just be positive without acknowledging one’s stress it is not helpful.
I agree and have often said if I could control my thoughts I would not have a problem. 
Working with your husband Trace, would be so stressful, especially if others don’t understand how it affects you. 
Dools that is sad those ladies make it is so difficult for you. 
Dools thanks for this thread that gives people space to explain how they feel and to make us feel less alone. 

Today is already turning out to be a tough day and it’s not even 8am 🥺 some days I think it would be easier to just stay in bed 😔

Hi Trace,

I know people mean well when they send positive, confirming and uplifting messages. Sometimes they do help. I would also like someone willing to listen  to my reality, being able to voice "life is not okay right now" helps to reduce the impact it has on us. That works for me anyway.

At least we can do that here in writing.

Yes I could leave my job and look for something else, go on Centrelink, run away for a while, leave my husband, ignore my other health concerns. I just don't have the strength.

Last night my husband told me he wants to sell our house and has a real estate guy coming today, it is my day off work and I don't need any more stress!

Getting away isn't going to help. My depression will just come with me if I want it to or not! It is not like I can  state "depression and all mental health issues, you are now free to leave my mind. Be gone. You are not welcome here anymore." 

My mind is exhausted! I have lost the STOP button for negativity! Ha. Ha.

Hope you are finding ways to cope Trace. Remember, this is a safe place to vent and share if you need to. Regards form Dools

Hi Trace,

Sorry to read you are struggling already. Is there some way you can make a change to how you are thinking? I know, that is easier said than done. I too awoke feeling miserable the moment I was awake.

I don't want to feel this way all day. I'm going out for a short walk shortly so hope that clears my mind a little.

I have been phoning Beyond Blue and Lifeline, that has helped.

Do you have any quick distractions/strategies that might help?

Even recognising I am having a yuck time helps me accept it, fighting it makes it worse for me.

Hope you can take some deep breathes and move on. One minute at a time!

Down-Mum
Community Member

Thanks Dools,

yes trying to focus on what we need to go camping in nature on Thursday and start trying to get excited and hoping to take my mind off the other things. 

sucks about the realestate coming today and the way your feeling. I understand your emotions and feeling will

ways be with you regardless of where you are. 
please feel free to reach out to us here if it gets too overwhelming.  Xxoo