FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

have suffered from depression since childhood

Terrimanian
Community Member

I'm in my 50's & have suffered from depression since childhood. My illness has seriously impacted on my ability to manage my affairs,particularly financially. I have lived in rental accommodation since arriving in arriving in Melbourne over 10 years ago. In April, the job I had held for over 10 years was made redundant. 8 of my colleagues were also made redundant. I was very angry about being forced to leave the organisation in this as it was very clear that the nature of my role & its value to the organisation had not been properly assessed or understood. I have had several months of casual & contract work since April. I sufficient funds (just) to purchase a very modest apartment, but have not been able to proceed due to my uncertain situation. I was recently hospitalised for depression & discharged just over a week ago. I felt considerably better while on hospital but have relapsed since my discharge. I live alone & am desperately lonely. I am in desperate need of a support group & mentor to assist my decision-making

2 Replies 2

Stormi71
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Terrimanian, 

I'm in NSW so not sure if these services are in Victoria. There is NEAMI that hold support groups. St Vinnies also have a program called Compeer in which they match up a volunteer with a client, that client then goes on outings with the volunteer. It's a friendship program for those with mental illness who are socially isolated. Google mental health support services for your area. A lot of neighbourhood/community centres run support groups, too. I'm sure a support group would help with your social isolation, as you will be able to make friends there, and organise to get together for a coffee or movie etc. 

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Terrimanian, welcome to the forums. We can't provide recommendations for support groups on here, but you'll find this to be a very welcoming space for online peer support. Have a look through some of the threads here and feel free to join in the discussions.