FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Forums etiquette: give support to receive support

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. 

From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great.

It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist.  

To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support.

Being a good community member means:

• participating in different threads (not just your own),
  • replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and...
  • posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out.

You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.”

Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel.

For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

kittens

0 Replies 0