Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Oxayotl Depressed, alone, disconeccted.
  • replies: 4

Hey everyone, I don't really know where to start. I guess it all happened when my Father passed away when I was 19 due to a heart attack. I'm almost 33 now and the pain of depression has really taken it's toll. I just feel as if I have no where else ... View more

Hey everyone, I don't really know where to start. I guess it all happened when my Father passed away when I was 19 due to a heart attack. I'm almost 33 now and the pain of depression has really taken it's toll. I just feel as if I have no where else to turn. I'm the type of person that tries to be liked by everyone, hiding behind my mask of bitter sadness. I find it difficult to maintain relations and constantly wind up pushing people away, even though I continue to try to be a nice, generous and caring person. I just feel as ifno one really cares. My mind is constantly flooded with thoughts of paranoid illusions, depressed feelings and sometimes, on the really bad days, suicide. I don't think that I could ever go to that extreme, but the thoughts are there and it frightens me to no end. I'm lost. I've remained at home living with my Mum as she has depression as well, though not to the extent that I've gotten too. She's a loving caring person that wants to keep her family close, but her only brother tried to take his life last year. He has many bad problems himself, and so cannot dedicate himself to my Mum, which saddens her. I try to stay strong for her as I know she'll be destroyed to know the darkness that resides within me is pushing me to the end. I just don' t know where to turn. The actual friends I have are all married, some have kids. I feel left behind and isolated. I work as a Baker so my shift hours constantly conflict with any social activities that my friends have on. Hope someone can help shine some light into this dark corridor I've found myself in. I'm really struggling to hold it together. Thanks.beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Chloekat84 Having a really bad day today but i shouldnt as its my kids bday party
  • replies: 7

My depression has been really hard to control all throughout th party today ive put on my fake smile and got on with it. But now im home and its over the tears are flowing and i cant control it. My son doesnt understand why mummy is crying and i said... View more

My depression has been really hard to control all throughout th party today ive put on my fake smile and got on with it. But now im home and its over the tears are flowing and i cant control it. My son doesnt understand why mummy is crying and i said im not feeling the best. I dont even know why im soo upset it should be a happy day and theres nothing to be upset about. I hate this illness and i just want the day over and done with so i can sleep it off hopefully feel better 2moro. I can win. Yesterday my anxiety was really bad now its my depression. Its soo hard coping with this alone. I know my parents are staying a few nights but they have gone to my sis's place atm and im just a crying mess and dont know why :'(

JWA14 Navigating depression
  • replies: 4

This is my first time sharing thoughts on this site but having read several of the posts it confirms the need to talk through the thoughts and feelings floating around in our heads. I, like so many, have been through various levels of depression/anxi... View more

This is my first time sharing thoughts on this site but having read several of the posts it confirms the need to talk through the thoughts and feelings floating around in our heads. I, like so many, have been through various levels of depression/anxiety for many years now. I've been on medication, seen psychiatrists and psychologists to varying degrees of success. Of late the pressures of this year from both running a business and in my personal life have found me veering back to my old thought patterns. Intense pressures at work along with the lack of a stable relationship and just recently an old friend and I seem to have ceased being friends, all inncuous enough but when layered on top of each other can really cloud ones world view with a very negative pall. I do keep myself active with both gym/ yoga and surf (weather permitting) even the simplest of things like a long walk does break the chain of negative thoughts. So in the end of the day it comes down to vigilance and even in the darkest of moments believing that there is a purpose and reason for carrying on. John

white knight Is crying good or bad for you?
  • replies: 15

The dreaded act of crying. That's from my view. Always large for my age in a mans world ex military, prison officer, security etc a world where crying immediately and permanently embeds weakness into other mens assessment of you. Behind the scenes th... View more

The dreaded act of crying. That's from my view. Always large for my age in a mans world ex military, prison officer, security etc a world where crying immediately and permanently embeds weakness into other mens assessment of you. Behind the scenes the big man became himself- a weeping mess battling illnesses I never realised I had. That was from as long as I can remember until 2 years ago or so. Then...the crying stopped! I've wondered if that has been good or bad...and why it stopped. Crying is thought to release stress hormones in the body. So there is a reason for it. It can be socially attractive to do in some cases. Attracting help for example. For me- I always ended up with a headache! if I cried. So why did I stop crying? Well I can paint a short picture of the circumstances. What was happening prior to 2 years ago? My medication had been correct after many years of false diagnosis and wrong medication from that false diagnosis. I'd dated and married my wife 3 years ago. So there are some changes, but it doesnt address something. Within those two years I'd had 2 meltdowns or "episodes" as my doctor called them whereby on both occasions wandered aimlessly where ever my body took me. Fully in a depressive state but I did not cry. I recently felt depressed. My depression doesnt last long nowadays. But I walked into the bush and sat, for hours, numb. I was aware a film of water enveloped my eyes but no tears fell. That's odd I think. Then I walked home. I needed the connection to nature, I needed to be alone. I was not suicidal. Planned that 18 years ago and I'll never go there again nor put my loving family through what could have been. That avenue IMO is stupid and selfish. Both my brother and uncle went that way I read on this forum upset people telling us they have cried all day. I feel for them, they must be hurting, they must be feeling empty and hopeless. They likely do not see any relief in their pain. Well there is relief, there are answers there- they are just in your line of sight, just beyond your reach and it is in the form of management. 1. Correct diagnosis 2. Correct medication 3. Correct quantity of medication. 4. Appropriate professional support 5. The will to get better 6. Environment 7. Supportive family and friends. 8. Less work pressure and so on. Achieve some of these and the light at the end of the tunnel might get closer and brighter. And you just might cry less. And I still dont know if crying less or more is better for you....

Shnook Need coping strategies - help
  • replies: 6

Today I am suffering my worst bout of depression that I have ever experienced in my whole life and I don't know how to cope. i have an appointment to go to in half an hour but I can't get out of bed. I rang and tried to reschedule but another appoint... View more

Today I am suffering my worst bout of depression that I have ever experienced in my whole life and I don't know how to cope. i have an appointment to go to in half an hour but I can't get out of bed. I rang and tried to reschedule but another appointment was not available. I'm afraid to go out because I feel like if someone even looks at me the wrong way I will break down and cry. I don't have any strategies to help me get through days like these. Normally I would just hide under the covers but the more I do that the more it will impact on my kids and my overall ability to deal with my depression. How does everybody else deal with days like these? What do you do to get through? I'm so foggy from my depression I just can't even think of ways to help myself because quite frankly I don't want to help myself today.

Soul Depression Disorder
  • replies: 3

Hello I'm Soul Please say hi I'm pleased to join the forum Depression Disorder any help or suggestions insights people with insight and can provide help Regards Soul

Hello I'm Soul Please say hi I'm pleased to join the forum Depression Disorder any help or suggestions insights people with insight and can provide help Regards Soul

CrazyCookie Time to speak up
  • replies: 1

I feel so sad and low, I cry every night . I cant control it anymore. I can only describe it as a empty blackness that is consuming me inside. I feel myself drifting further into the darkness and I dont know how to fix it anymore. Is normal to much t... View more

I feel so sad and low, I cry every night . I cant control it anymore. I can only describe it as a empty blackness that is consuming me inside. I feel myself drifting further into the darkness and I dont know how to fix it anymore. Is normal to much to ask? Is not having to fake smile such a big request? It feels like happiness, pride, achievement and sanity are too far for me to grasp hold of. Im stuck with sadness, anger and worthlessness. I dont want to continue feeling like this. I try and seek help but its not enough. I am scared if myself. I am not who I used to be. I am losing the plot at home and work because of this. I cant continue like this. I miss the REAL me and so does my family. I can see that. I try to talk to people but I cant express how im feeling in person. Im at a loss and not sure whats next or left anymore. Sorry.

Oneofakind Why
  • replies: 7

Why is day to day living and doing normal things so hard. Why do I have to struggle to be ok at work, and then just collapse mentally after. Why can't I like myself.? Why can't I be happy.?why do I worry about what people may think of me. Why can't I... View more

Why is day to day living and doing normal things so hard. Why do I have to struggle to be ok at work, and then just collapse mentally after. Why can't I like myself.? Why can't I be happy.?why do I worry about what people may think of me. Why can't I be strong. Why do I always feel so inferior to everyone else. Why can't I take stress. Why a mime

confused83 im really confused
  • replies: 11

Hi all .not sure where to start but here goes . I was diagnosed with depression for over 10 years iv seen dr after dr who wouldnt listen to what i was telling them iv tried three different medications and different doseages with all but none havent w... View more

Hi all .not sure where to start but here goes . I was diagnosed with depression for over 10 years iv seen dr after dr who wouldnt listen to what i was telling them iv tried three different medications and different doseages with all but none havent worked. iv ended up in hospital twice now only to be given anxiety medication to take which seemed to help. iv now found a new dr who actually listened to me and saw the state i was in and has picked up on a few things she has refered me to a shrink who im seeing in oct but im needing something now iv spoken to mental health a few times over the phone which was told there is nothing they can do for me and to go back to my dr or call them when i need to well hello when im in a downer i dont want to talk to anyone let alone to call them . My moods vary i can be i real nasty piece of work for a week at a time i then can be in a real super high mood like nothing can bring me down im high as a kite and can be really hyper and i mean hyper and i tend to talk alot and not have a good nights sleep then i can snap out of that and be normal for awhile until out of the blue my nasty side comes back the voices in my head start i hear a mans voice who talks negative and puts me down then i hear a womans voice from time to time then it goes silent i have a brain fart where i cant think or speak normally i also have anxiety on top of it i loose my self when there is too much noise going on at one time and i become nasty saying stuff i dont mean i cant control myself i even have thoughts on ending my life, etc. Please help!!!! beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Jess_30 feel alone, isolated and that no one understands
  • replies: 8

Hi there new here, I have suffering depression and anxiety for bout 5 yrs now 0 with times where I feel like I am getting better to times I feel I am being dragged down again. At the moment I feel left out and alone hardly have any family around and ... View more

Hi there new here, I have suffering depression and anxiety for bout 5 yrs now 0 with times where I feel like I am getting better to times I feel I am being dragged down again. At the moment I feel left out and alone hardly have any family around and the ones I do dont haedly talk to me unless I make an effort.I have been telling people close to me avout my depression but feel as they still dont understand and also by inlaws have been told that I am just looking for attention and that i am crazy so now i get very worried if I mention it and feel that people think I am only sooking. My kids and I mostly stay at home and I amworried that they wont get to make friends or meet people because of me and my insecurities.Hoping that I can find a different way to deal with this cause it ia eating me up insideThanks for listening to me xx