FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Give me a Go

Guest_3712
Community Member

I don't know how many more times I can continue to get up. I have tried so hard to put all of my crap behind me and re- enter the workforce primarily and  then hopefully the human race again- but no-one will give me a go.

Before my injury 9 years ago at work which then spiralled into drug addiction, depression, suicide attempts and hospitalisation, I was a force to be reckoned with. I was top of my career and was seen as the go to gal . I set all kinds of records in my chosen career and was a confident , self assured strong lady. 3 years after my injury I was let go from my employer as I could no longer do the job required.

I have spent the last 6 months applying for jobs. Initially in my chosen field then anything I thought I could do. I am registered on every job site available and spend hours scanning the work available. Unfortunately the process now of applying on- line may be user friendly for the employer, but it doesn't give the applicant a fair go.

A lot of the employers want you to take an 'intelligence test' first ( you know square pegs round holes stuff) , multiple choice scenarios etc. If you pass this round then it's something else again. You're very lucky to get an interview. I used to recruit people in my line of work all the time and I never solely relied on someone's application and / or personal information. I relied on my gut instinct and the employee's experience and presence.

All jobs now ask OH&S questions. Can you lift certain weights, bend, stand , do somersaults??? I had a back injury. I had surgeries. As soon as I mention a prior condition forget it. If I have to say it was workers comp then that's a double whammy and I will never hear back. Do I lie to get a job? What happens then if I can't lift a box or climb a ladder?

I need to work. I need to be part of something again and feel important. My self esteem is at rock bottom and with each passing day I am losing that drive to move on .  It has take me a very long time to get to this point and I am so scared I am going to go back to where I was. I am still on prescription meds and the temptation to self medicate is very real.

Today I am having a " I don't care day" I stayed in bed late, didn't walk the dog and couldn't care less about what's for dinner. I am losing my motivation. I have done all the courses, read all the books I know what I am supposed to do. But I  have tried time and time again. God help me I am so tired of this ****. I have read some posts that have similar issues so maybe someone out there has something they can say that will get my motivation back

Stressless

4 Replies 4

guest75
Community Member

Hi Stressless

I know how you feel., i have been looking for work since june when i resigned because of my boss making fat jokes about me.

I have probably applied for 500 jobs and had maybe 5 or 6 interviews, was offered 3 roles but had to turn 2 down due to logistics of moving and stuff.

But i got to the point of applying for anything i was remotely qualified for or anything i thought i would be good at

Its hard, and i agree the days of sites like seek make it harder not easier i think, but keep applying, you will get interviews before too long

Lillybell
Community Member

Hi Stressless, I can imagine your self esteem is at rock bottom. You've been through a terrible time. The fact that you are so motivated to do something to change your circumstances is a really positive thing and means that you haven't given up hope. I get the impression that you still have a back injury. Maybe contacting a disability organisation could be worthwhile. They can help with retraining plus job linking. There  are also training organisations that will subsidise training if you're receiving Centrelink payments and can even get you employment while you're training. Careers Australia is one. Hope I'm allowed to mention their name. How about volunteering somewhere just for a couple of days a week while you're job hunting. At least that gets you out of the house and back into the workforce and will help to build your confidence. Will also look good on your resume. I know this all sounds easy in theory but I hope some of what I said helps. 

Thanks Lillybell and mattyj for your thoughts.

You  are right lillybell I do still have a back injury but my most recent pain surgery has left me in the best condition I have been in years so I felt confident I could return to some work.

unfortunately as I received a small compo pay out I am not entitled to any benefits from Centrelink for another 4 years. of course all the settlement money is long gone, after the lawyers took their share, and now any medical treatments I have to have I pay for.

I have done some of the things you mentioned and I know the importance of keeping busy and being out there- but I am so damn tired of it all.

My medications I take for pain, depression and anxiety continue to pile on the weight so I feel like crap all the time. Then I'll get a rush of enthusiasm and  exercise and walk every day but for what? nothing changes.

I want my life back and knowing this is never going to happen just sends me down that slippery slope. I have put my family through so much, and my husband has been to  the edge and back so I try to put on the "everything' alright mask' that we all do.

But for how long ? I don't want this to be my life. I feel like a boxer who keeps getting knocked down, then gets up and each time is just that little bit more bloodied and sore until he doesn't get up again.

Stressless

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Stressless

As you know only too well, you’re experiencing an extremely difficult situation and I really feel for you. Are there jobs out there where there is a high demand for people?  I’m really not sure, and I’m not quite sure what these jobs would be, if any, but just thought I’d pop that suggestion in.

Again it’s difficult to know whether to let them know of your past, with regard to compo … but I wonder is that still kind of bothering you … as in would you still be able to do most jobs?  And I’m sure you’d be aware of jobs that could cause you difficulty?

What you produced work-wise in the past was simply outstanding … are there organisations out there that do the kind of work that you did and if so, are you now able to do the kind of work that you used to do?

Kind regards

Neil