FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do not feed the monster

Emotions26
Community Member

I am struggling to understand this website and find my way around

I have replied to some people

I think that two champions replied to my first two posts

I do not know where they are now

I have supported several posts of others

I have replied to one person I think today

I am resonating with several posts in different areas but cannot remember where they are

I am literally lost within this website as well as within myself

I am working very hard at keeping the dreaded "D" at bay which I have battled with too many times.

I have had this since young apparently

I have had large gaps of time where I am mostly symptom free I think

The monster is the dreaded "d"

It is also a relative whom I have had to relinquish her hold over me.

I have only learnt about this stuff recently so struggle talking about it.

So I think of do not feed the monster as in do not think of her. Or do not feel guilty or upset or worry or a thousand other things

Also do not feed the dreaded "d" as it lurks waiting

I will not find this piece again

105 Replies 105

Thanks for your lovely message, it can be a challenge in here when so many people are writing and sharing but that's good. It is somewhere where we can go to in the moments of our D's so here comes Winter what is it going to bring us this year! I do have a good sense of humour and do any of you here do? After Barry Humphries passed away RIP, I watched stakes of  videos of him and him playing Edna Everidge of Mooney Ponds. I did see him Live in Sydney 1985 Regent Theatre with a friend of my brother's, he had no one to go with and he had a spare ticket. Anyway, last week watching youtube of Barry had me in stitches but of course there are some days we are just too low to go there (comedies). I use to be optimistic but not anymore. Cheers🍷

Hello

HelloGail

Clever username

Lovely I have received a postcard in my post box.

Barry Humphries was a very intelligent and  witty man wasn't he. Considering his generation he was extremely brave and a great voice for adversity and difference.

His style was so very clever and I too loved his very artful wit.

That would have been a beautiful experience seeing him live at the Regent Theatre. Nice of your brother's friend to invite you.

I have found that when the "D" is not around my sense of humour has come to the fore.

As a result of my being me and not being bothered by others as much.

We saw John Cleeves live and even though part of his act was reflective and more serious; overall was enjoyable.

Billy Connolly saw him decades ago. The very expressive language took me off balance initially and once I let that go over my head I could not stop laughing.

British humour is still my favourite.

I am starting to understand the very laid back australian humour more; as I watch more.

I love the film "the Dish" and can watch that over and over.

I also enjoy several series

The games and Utopia

Tom Sharpe and Terry Pratchett are very clever, humourous authors.

What is some of your taste?

Interesting word optimism

I feel quite irritated when someone tells me to think positively. It borders on insulting.

I am very capable of thinking positively.

However, when the "D" is lurking or in full force positivity is no more helpful than dust in the air.

Blech is my word to describe current move currently. Can change like the weather.

Look forward to hearing back if you feel up to interracting.

I am still not sure how I am supposed to be doing this.

My inner self tells me do it my way and see what happens.

Thank you

Cheers back

Emotions26

I have messed up

breached the guidelines

written where I shouldn't

not intended

have the greatest respect for everyone brave enough to be here as well as all of those who keep it running

I will post what I posted in what I thought was feedback.

It popped up and was back from 2013. all on it's ownsome

I found faqs in left column finally

Just do not have mindset as am in overload to read pages of instructions

I suppose that I should just stay away

How does that work then?

Come back when I am feeling better.

The "D" has lifted?

Not trying to be disrespectful or sound cynical

more exasperated and quite frankly over

the

Mind

Thank you to everyone with whom I have conversed so far.

You are all lovely and I believe that this world is upside down

It is not us who should be writing on here.

There is nothing wrong with us.

It is everyone else who tries to tell us how to be!

I will write this on a discussion. Hence have chosen this one seems most frequently responded to at moment.

I  think that I am only supposed to have one.

Oops found that out a bit too late.

Wait and see.

Hi Emotions26

Great to hear from you.  I didn't know what to call myself and wasn't in a creative mood so just wrote HelloGail. I love receiving post cards from friends/family on their travels, something special about PC. 
Wow, you sound like a real lover of comedy, John Cleese use to be my favourite; Billy Connolly, he is a bit of a shocker at first so he really gets our attention, love his doco's too and his lovely scottish accent.

That's an interesting thought (Pratchett&Sharpe), I have never read a humurous book, though read joke books. I guess the closest would be Australian Actor William McInness, just adore him, I like his humour and the way he thinks. I've read one of his books, William is a serious actor but he is also slightly hinting at being funny. 
My daughter and I being fans of the Catherine Tate Show when she was in school, we seen her Live in November 2018 and we got to meet her, Catherine was out walking with her daughter too in George Street. I love her and have read one of her books. I have her complete dvd series. I love when she acts the gay man but so many other skits can't really say a favourite.

My family always watched The Two Ronnies and Fawlty Towers, loved the German skit 'don't mention the war' ha! ha! 
When I was in 5th class I wanted to be a comedian and remember trying to do a 2 Ronnies skit in front of the class when teacher said if anyone wanted to do anything.  I wasn't very good but at least I had a good try.  It was 1971 and The Two Ronnies were on our televisions a lot. I only love the British comedies, love Black Books got that DVD too. 
There use to be an indigenous comedy on the ABC I enjoyed watching "Black Comedy" so funny and Steph Tisdell is fantastic, stand up comedian.

Loved the Games back in 1999/2000 on ABC it was so witty and Utopia. I think the latter is on Netflix. Those australian comedians in those two shows were on our screens a lot in the 1980's with their own shows Fast Forward and so many other from that group, Comedy Company. 
Oh yes, Optimism: That's why I wrote I use to be optimistic but not anymore, in other words, don't like the word much.

Thank you for the interaction, I googled the word 'blech' found it. Hope you are feeling better tonight. 
Until next time, cheers🫶🏻

Hello

Hello Gail

I have the box set of Black  Books

All three of them were so different yet so good

This will have to be brief

I am using mobile phone and keyboard is too narrow along with visible screen

spend more timeediting

I am not familiar with Australian comedians though might know them if I see them.

I love reading several classifications of fiction

Yourself?

Are we supposed to write to champions and other officials or are they here for support?

Take care

D

Emotions 26

The Forum can  take a while to navigate. I can see people  have replied and you have replied to them. 
As a champion I try to reply to posts where I can help people .

By being honest and sharing with others  you have helped people reading your posts so they don’t feel alone 

Thanks for reaching out. 

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Emotions26 and HelloGail,

Oh what a coincidence that we got onto talk of Black Books. I actually just saw Dylan Moran in Sydney on...Tuesday? I've seen him twice now and really like his style of comedy. I thought this time he was a little off compared to his previous shows, but he still had some real gems.

I also saw Bill Bailey once just before 2018 and loved how he includes music in his shows. It's really fun.

I hope you are both doing okay today.

James

Thank you quirkywords

I understand that people like myself join the forums to be heard. Many people who don’t feel heard have kind hearts.

Thank you for your support.

Hello James 1 and Hello Gail

I agree it is very difficult to come across as so inebriated and be smart witted at the same time. He seems so realistic.

As we’re Bill Bailey and I can’t think of her name at present.  
I watch them over and over.
Comedy is great medicine.

Hi Emotions26

Yes, you are allowed to create more than one discussion. When you have made a discussion/s, you can find them in a link 'your discussions', somewhere near the top of your screen, I think. (I'm guessing because I don't use my mobile for this, & the way the site appears may be different in some ways to how I see it on my PC).

Yeah, the Champions do make an effort to support people here on BB. All the Champions had, once upon a time, joined BB like everyone else.

If you are not sure about which section to put your new discussion in, it's okay to ask BB, by email: modsupport@beyondblue.org.au 

Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors. I so wish we could have had even more than all the books he had written during his life. I feel like I cannot get enough of his stories. I enjoy the audiobook format. I have listened to the books several times over & seem to hear more & more content, like thoughts between the thoughts, & enjoy what I hear more each time. The books are so rich in detail & ideas, social commentary & philosophy, as well as the more obvious humour, all the puns, situations - everything!

I was happy to see the dreaded D has been lifting. Do you think there is anything you do that helps to get the dreaded D to lift?

Hugzies

mmMekitty