FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,100 Replies 2,100

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear SM et al.~

It's nice to see you here SM.

Your remark about Muppets and advertising made me curious so I went to their wiki and looked up what they had been up to. I was amazed at the number of commercial ads they had featured in, everything from dog food (Purina Dog Chow) where that company offered $100,000 to own Rowlf outright - which Jim refused.

Through to cars (2014 Toyota Highlander commercial) which was later made into the music video (No Room For Boring) which featured a whole heap of them lead by Floyd Pepper,

You are right, that portrayal of innocence does give ordinary commercial plugs a certain standing. Actually they are stand-alone works of art, one can happily ignore the product.

I've a coffee-table book "The Kermitage Collection" which features Kermit, Ms Piggy and others spoofing famous works of art such as the Mona Lisa (Mona Moi) done in the days before digital methods were available. Very realistic and great fun.

Croix

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Croix

This is my first time here.

Last week my daughter took me for an early birthday present, to see Muriel's Wedding the musical. If you liked the movie you would like the musical. I saw a background program on the making of the musical and the director spoke about how he felt like a failure before he made the movie so decided to make a movie about his failures.

The lead character Muriel does not fit in and is different so many can relate to her in all her awkwardness.

Just wondering if anyone has seen Muriel's wedding the movie or the musical.

Quirky

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quirky et al.~

You are very welcome here. I really liked the film, which has a happy ending (compulsory for me) and ABBA music too:) In fact it is one of my two most favorite Australian movies (the other being Priscilla)

I live away form the big lights, but would like to see the musical if I ever got the chance, maybe it will travel if successful enough. Is the music mostly ABBA or other stuff?

Croix

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Croix and everyone

I live a long way from the big smoke too, but my daughter loves shows .

I thought it would be all ABBA and there are a lot of ABBA songs but musical couple Kate Miller-Heidke and Keir Nuttall wrote the dialogue songs. They were very energetic combined with great dancing. However I could not remember one song they wrote.

I suppose I kept thinking about feeling like a failure wanting to fit in. At school I could not find a group I felt comfortable in and more than once I was told to leave a group as I did not belong.

It is interesting that most people relate to Muriel and Rhonda rather than the popular girls. Of course the popular girls were made to look ridiculous.

Quirky

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quirky et al.~

Pity it is not all ABBA although I suppose the costs would be prohibitive. There are certainly enough songs of theirs to find the right one for just about any occasion.

I'm not surprised most relate to Muriel and Rhonda. If I remember the film correctly they explore false values, growing up and reliability friendship and kindness - though it's a pretty long journey - and eventually reach a pretty good state.:)

I guess you could say it was a 'coming of age' movie. This makes me think - for no particular reason - of another: Cinema Paradiso in which a young lad learns what is important in life with the help of a blind cinema projectionist.

Croix

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hi Croix and a familiar wave to Quirky.

I am popping in here very quick like to thankyou Croix. I read your post to me on another thread. It touched my heart in a nice way to know you noticed I had not been around as much. So very kind of you. I hope you are okay? I am fine too. May you have a beautiful Christmas with much love shared around with those you are closest to.

Shell x

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Shell~

I'm really pleased you replied and are doing fine, I'm managing too. I'll return your wishes too and ope you have the very best of Christmases and New Year

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Hi Croix....saw a good one called Shop Girl with Steve Martin (not being silly for a change) and Clare Danes. I think you would like it.

looking forward to seeing Swingin Safari in cinemas in January...back to the 70s suburbia..(yes I was there) girls in long halter neck dresses, blokes in safari suits, wide legged pants, the cubes of cabana and cheese on toothpicks, casks of wine....the whole bit!

A real send up of what it was like in Aust then....these stars came together on the Gold Coast to film it...Kylie Minogue,Guy Pearce ( together again from Neighbours) Julian McMahon (hope he can get rid of his US accent) Asher Keddie.........life seemed so much simpler then!

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

Nice to see oyu back.

I'll look out for that Steve Martin one, I've always gone out and got the ones your recommended -Holiday, Moonstruck and so on and have always been glad I did. sometimes have to wait a while till I see them s/hand, but they always pop up.

Did you ever see Mermaids?

Croix (for whom the 70's was not all that simple:)

Moonstruck
Community Member

Yes I remember enjoying Cher in Mermaids. Those 2 girls of hers have certainly grown up since then...Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci. Am I right that you don't like movies with "unhappy or tragic endings"? Or movies that contain people suffering or dying in any way? (sorry if I have upset you just by mentioning it...just wanted to make sure)...xx