FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,085 Replies 2,085

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RG et al.~

Well, thank you, I'd not known Prof Hastings had such talents and I'd not heard the Jim Croce version either -a new song. It very much reminds me when my first wife was passing away, not a happy episode and like so many I'd have given a lot for more time. Still it was a long time ago and the matter reduced to tolerable sadness mixed with happy recollections.

I wanted to cheer myself up after that so I played another about time, wanting to go back in time

I Wish Stevie Wonder

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member

Croix it sounds like you have been through some pretty awful stuff. I won't push you to share because you seem to gain more strength from helping but I am a very good amateur psychologist so please approach me at any time on my thread.

Re the muppets version I love the way he drinks his potions and gets younger every verse....then the bittersweet moment where he explodes back to his white-bearded self again. I actually don't mind getting older and have for some time been more comfortable with older men - my ex husband was 16 years older than me and my current partner is 11 years older.....but we've been friends for 17 years. the song in my mind that resonates most for me about him is that one....Time In A Bottle.....because we were always so close and I'd like to go back in time and erase the last ten years, even if it meant missing my European and celebrity-socializing times.....and make a real life with him. but we're doing it now and I'm doing my best to not hurt him with my disorders. In turn he is doing his best to help. But if I could have just kept our time in a bottle....

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RG et al.~

That's very kind of oyu, I'm pretty OK with my first wife's death. It was 20+ years ago and an awful lot has changed since. My probs stem from being a policemen, and I try to keep them under control. I have pretty good support. I did find the one time I explained a rather minor incident in a thread here I ended up leaving that thread strictly alone afterwards - too uncomfortable.

Trying to erase part of one's life, well it sounds nice and I think I discussed it here before. The long and the short of it is one would end up a different person, maybe not one your partner wold be so attracted to - who knows.

Yes, now I remember, we were discussing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, one of the few times I did not mind Jim Carey, he did a good job, similar effort to The Truman Show. In Spotless the theme seems to be you can erase events, but basic nature and inclination seeps though anyway.

All speculation of course

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member

croix

Totally agree with you re the Jim Carey Movies as his two works of art and the philosophy behind them. after those it always bewildered me, the movie choices he made, Scually Man On The Moon was brilliant characterization, one has to admit, The problem for him was he took a long time trying to step out of character, such was his commitment to method to acting the role

RunGirl
Community Member

Croix have you read Gerrald Durrell's books, especially the Corfu trilogy? Autobiographical, Delightful gentle dry humour and marvellous portrayals of his eccentric family and early scientific discoveries as a boy in early 20th century Corfu, with the later books dealing with his amazing time on the Galapagos and the Zoo he founded in Jersey with his wife. There it is again....Jersey!!!

best

RunGirl

PS I sent out a bit of a distress call on my thread. Could you take a look if you're up to it?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RG~

(Please see your thread for a sensible reply)

I've most of Gerald Durrell's book up to the late 70's and have watched a lot of his TV series starting I think with Zoo Packet. While I understand he was not the easiest person to live with he made an enormous contribution to conservation (plus the Jersey economy:)

Another husband and wife team from that era was Armand and Michaela Dennis, Like Lee Durrell Michaela was a second wife and featured in their many series. I remember their On Safari on UK Tv.

Talking of Jersey, I thought the TV series Bergerac with John Nettles (also a cop in Midsomer Murders) gave rather a nice idea of the place.

(Amazingly a lot of this stuff is still on YouTube)

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Hi Croix...I saw on the other thread you watched Moonstruck. I am glad. I was madly in love with my married man at the time it came out...it always made me feel joyous and brimming with happiness. It still reminds me of him..gosh they were happy times.

You know all that stuff about me feeling so sad about Happy Memories on your other thread??. Here's another thing (if I am allowed to put it here)......I just came across some photos on my son's FBook from a few years back of him overseas on some gorgeous island. I had never seen them before. He looked so beautiful, so handsome, such beautiful surroundings, so much joy and happiness ....I had to stop looking at them.

they were too beautiful. Too much beauty invokes unbearable sadness and longing (for what???) within me.

thanks for letting me share......Moon S

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

You are welcome, here or in your own thread. Actually I think we have it Topsy-turvy at the moment with talk of movies and songs over there and more serious stuff here - not to worry, it will be fine.

I'm glad you have those photos, I do think in time you will look at them simply which gladness and no greif.

I'm sure your mentioning them here will inspire others to reach into their photo albums too.

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Croix....just to clarify one minor point then I'll get off!! Didn't look at his photos with "grief"..he's still very much alive , more alive than anyone I know actually. Just in case someone thinks my son has passed away or something....movies...movies...ummmm....oh yeah Love Actually is on TV (again) soon...surprise surprise!!

Sad_Mushroom
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

Just a quick comment about the muppets.

Advertising is significantly more successful when cartoon characters or muppets are used instead of real people. They say this is because as children we loved and trusted cartoon characters/muppets etc and they were always there for us as children. Even if we felt scared, bored, unloved these characters were there for us. They never hurt us or let us down.

Apparently, if Fred Flintstone is used in advertising men's razors he is more successful than any other famous person....as our inner child believes Fred would never lie to us.

We are naturally attracted to cartoon characters/muppets, not only because they were part of our childhood but because of the feelings (happy, safe, funny, loved, consistent, reliable etc) that they subconsciously stir in our minds/brains.

SM