FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,085 Replies 2,085

Hi tealflowers,

Wonderful, you are able to enjoy Heartbeat with your dad sometimes. Do you chat during the show? Or just through the commercials? 

I enjoy when the reader has a pleasant & warm voice, late when I'm wanting to relax & sleep. As I keep saying, if they don't get shouty or whispery & are articulate, is okay, but not so much that I can't follow it while I am relaxing. Trying to interpret what someone is reading in a strong accent takes too much concentration.

If you try listening to Derek Fowlds' autobiography, I hope you let us know what you think of hearing him, his own voice, reading his book to you. I really hope you enjoy listening  to books. Then you could be colouring in at the same time!

I'm listening to books, music, radio, even tele, while doing other things. Sometimes I have to turn the volume up a bit ... but if you are very smartly using ear buds, you can enjoy listening more, & as you walk from room to room, too.

I might enjoy if Heartbeat was an audio described show, or better yet, if someone could write it as if it was a detailed fiction in the first place, describing all the sceens, the cars you've talked about, too, the buildings, street life, shops & their contents, everything I can't see. I'm missing too much of it now to really enjoy.

Although the music isn't what I usually listen to, I do enjoy the styles of music they used during the series. It's often so familiar I could sing along, even after the excerpt has faded, & then not be concentrating on the story.

I catch myself doing that whenever I hear a very familiar song, including songs I don't like. 😸

😺Hugsies to furry loveys first, then to Walruses (or was that 'Walrusi'?) then to people (to romove any lingering strands of hair I don't leave on the Walrus). 😹

mmMekitty

forgot to write Derek Fowlds plays Bernard Woolley in Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister. but i suppose no one really cares.

we chat during the show, yes. i'm not sure about audiobooks but Heartbeat is based off these books by Nicholas Rhea called Constable On The Hill, & other series. although the books are probably a little different to the show. it's popular all around the world, even today.

Oh, I didn't know there were books the Heartbeat was based on. I know, for tv shows, not everything can be reproduced, or even kept exactly as authors write. & authors of books can't include absolutely every detail of a scene or even of each main character or your books would be ten times longer with whole chapters describing a house, or a street, or one person's morning.

Indeed, books often are better when the author expects the reader to fill in a lot of details in their own imaginations. We do this a lot more than we realise, too.

I appreciate any thoughts you have to offer.

I just wonder, because I've never gone looking, if there might be online fan groups, or tv show fan groups. They might be, I would expect, somewhere on one of the social media sites. If you are comfortable using any of them, & keep your info as secure as you can... maybe there you will find people who care as much as you do about these Brittish actors & their work, & lives. Just a reminder, though, the common social media sites don't have the same level of monitoring & moderation as BB does. I just wonder if you've ever looked into social media sites for fan groups?

Goodnight tealflowers, Croix & all... little sheep included... stop keeping my little penguins awake, okay? "Baa-aa-aa-aa baa-aa-aa"

mmMekitty

Dear Tayla~

Yes we do care, interweaving actors and the plays, TV shows and films that have been in makes life all the  richer

Thank you for mentioning Nicholas Rhea, I'd no idea either where Heartbeat came from. Just as a matter of interest I looked up that author on my state library and found thay had six or seven in the "Constable on the ..." series Audiobooks to lend out.

I've already got a stack of stuff I want to listen to, but will pop them on the end of the list.

I'm listening to the Jean M Auel's Earth's Children series ATM. As there are 6 long novels it will take a while.

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Croix, tealflowers & all,

I read the first three (at least) of the Earth's Children series when I could read print. I had paperback editions. Since I've heard, I think the 4th as well. I had enjoyed them, mostly because of the concept & the descriptions, which left me with some detail to fill in, but that seemed to come easily as I read. 

Now I would suggest, it could have done with more editing. & if I go & listen to the books again now, I think I'd be even more critical.

Favourite bits include scenes which (quite predictably) have the cave lions in.😺

Note: I now know Facebook didn't work out as tealflowers had hoped. I'm sure it was very disappointing.

Hugzies to everyone - all species!

mmMekitty

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

I'll be taking a couple of weeks off and will not able to see your cheery posts. This is nothing to worry about, I do it several times a year.

When my avatar changes back from "gone fishing" you'll now I'm back on line

In the meantime take care

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Croix! 😺Here I am waiting at your door, a cat on a mat, in a furry coat, boots & hat, stirring a burbling vat, awaiting to find out how many fish did you catch, & would you like some fishy stew? Just drop a few in my simmering brew.

Hugzies, from me to you, everyone, Sumo too. 😹

mmMekitty

I am here, moving you up from page 3 - really, a walrus on page 3? That will not do!

Is he coming back mmMekitty or is he gone forever...our Croix.? He must feel chuffed to know there are gorgeous women waiting for him....miss ya Croix. Love from all of us....Moon S. 

Hey Moon,

He said he'd be returning, after a couple weeks, & I'm guessing that ought to be soon. The way this site now displays info like '2 weeks ago' & not a specific date for that last post of his, makes it difficult to be sure when - but then again, he's under no obligation to be here or not at certain times, either.

But, yeah, Moon, I miss him, too.

Just between us, while he's not listening, because I don't want to embarrass him or anything... I think hes' such a caring & wise soul, like what an old granddad ought to be ... even when he blusters about some of us messing up his iceberg - he's so sweet! 😸

So how have you been?

mmMekitty

How have I been...up and down I guess. still breathing in and out.  Feel like just sayin'......even though it appears I have found my way on this new Forum to some of my old friends...I still find it much harder and slower to navigate than the old one.  Why did we have to change anyway? I still don't know why?  I had no complaints about the old one.    This new one sometimes asks for my name, password etc...sometimes it doesn't.   Works completely differently on my phone to my computer!     Sometimes....you see that word "sometimes"....it should get it right and be the same...ALL the time surely?   no matter  what I click, sometimes...I cannot get it to display from "more recent" backwards.    sorry, still prefer the former Forum.....I've probably shouldn't have used this thread to say all those grievances, but what the hell...I have...because its too hard to start all over again on another thread.......stay well and happy mmMekitty....did I tell you, your photo of the ginger cat is exactly like my real ginger companion...aren't they lovely?