FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,100 Replies 2,100

no it's not you or what you wrote mmMekitty, i was just saying in general, i apologise. i can type a bit myself and ramble too. but it depends on how much really.

just popping in to say hello all.

britishtvfan
Community Member

i'm sure i'm the only one who's interested, but it's Derek Fowlds' heavenly birthday today (September 2). happy heavenly birthday Derek. he's so loved & missed. i wish i discovered him earlier & i wish i could've met him & written to him. it's such a shame he passed away 2 years ago on January 17, 2020.

Dear Tayla~

I didn't know that, sadly as we get older those fixtures in our lives, shows, actors and all the rest do fall by hte wayside. He will certainly be missed.

I know you may have difficulties reading at times, do you ever get to see any biographies of actors? Some are on audio books too. I listened ot one about John Thaw a while ago I got from the Library.

Croix

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

croix

I read a book about John Thaw by his wife Sheila Hancock a wonderful actress, called the two of us. Was that the audio book you listened to. 

Since I have been isolating I watched the 1937 movie called Love Affair if which the the 1957 an affair to remember was based on. The dates may be out but my mind is fuzzy.

The first version with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne was wonderful.

Does anyone know this earlier movie.?

Hi Quirky,

Great to see you are finding things to enjoy while isolated. Take care of yourself, & I hope you are feeling better again soon.

I can purr for you, if you'd like - not too loud, too. I can do that😸& nestle at your feet.

mmMekitty

Hey Croix, how are you?

Later, mate.❤️

mmMekitty

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Quirky, mmMekitty, Tayla and All~

Yes Quirky, that was indeed the book. I've really liked both actors, and have followed John Thaw since his initial TV series as REDCAP.

mmMekitty may recognize Sheila's voice as Esme Weatherwax in the BBC adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel "Wyrd Sisters"

Actually you have reminded me to go look for Sheila's "Just Me". Her autobiography of her later life

🐱, Thanks for asking, I've been off-line for a few days. I had a bit of traveling to do and it set me back, but am almost up to my "normal" 😁 state again now.

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

"Almost normal" is pretty good, 😸relatively speaking, in context, given this or that ...you know, how much can we realisticly expect?

Although I have seen the cartoon series of Wyrd Sisters, I don't remember who voiced all the characters. Even as I read your post, I'm scratching my head, thinking, Sheila who? Only Sheila I can recall was Sheila Florence (tv series Prisoner, & maybe a couple other short, vague memories)

The puddy tat you saw just may have been Greebo - so beware!

I thought I saw a boordie... 🐧... I did! I did! I did see a boordie! 😹

Hugzies to you, Mrs C & cats (none of whom can be comparable to Greebo)

mmMekitty

hi Croix, mmMekitty, quirky, & others here.

sorry i haven't been on the forums & this thread much. yes it's so sad about Derek Fowlds' heavenly birthday, i think it was his 85th?

anyone been watching Heartbeat on 7TWO on Wednesday nights at 7:30pm? i have, i watch it with my Dad because i'm not sure if he's ever seen it. i told him he'd like it & he does, so yay, haha. i have all of the DVDs & i'm up to series 9 episode 14. i love the show but i take breaks from watching it & watch other things, or sometimes i just listen to music without watching anything like i have been lately.

i should try to get back into reading & colouring in. i've never read an audiobook, they sound interesting. i have Derek's biography, but he has an audiobook version where he reads it himself. his voice is somewhat relaxing, a few people say that.

is anyone fans of Paul Eddington & Nigel Hawthorne, who featured in Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister with Derek? Paul played Jim Hacker, the Minister then Prime Minister, & Nigel played Sir Humphrey Appleby. John Nettleton played Sir Arnold, & Peter Sellier played Sir Frank. i can't remember the names of the other people in it, their real names & show names.

for someone who's not into politics of any kind & doesn't understand it, i love that show. i love the 3 of them, they work so well together. & they're great actors. plus the show is British & funny. it's not 100% about politics.

sorry for me rambling lol.