FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,088 Replies 2,088

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Dottie~

Quick note: am looking at the remaining pictures by Viktor Hartmann and listening to the composition written about them by Mussorgsky - "Pictures at an Exhibition". The scene changes and continuity of the promenade are fascinating.

Haven't found a piano version as yet - ironic as I think it was written for piano in the first place, not orchestra.

Croix

Hi everyone,

Wednesday, long time no see! We have probably just been on different threads so our paths haven't crossed much lately.

Greig's concerto was indeed very expressive and evocative. I love the grand finish.

Ah, I'm not too familiar with opera. I looked up "Lacme flower duet" on YouTube, and realised that I had heard parts of it before (except I didn't previously know the name of it).

I hadn't heard it in full though so I listened to the whole duet. It was very moving although I'm not sure what I think of it mostly because I'm so unused to opera.

There seems to be a consensus on Amy Winehouse. Croix, you, Sara and I all enjoy her music. Yes, her passing was premature and very tragic.

Croix, I think if you google "mussorgsky pictures at an exhibition piano" that some YouTube links will show up.

The second link is interesting because it shows different interpretations of the piece by 3 pianists at a Dublin international competition.

The Hartman/Mussorgsky artistic marriage- so to speak- sounds like it was a complementary one. They seemed to share an understanding. I have to admit that I'm not personally a huge Hartman fan (it's not a criticism but just down to personal taste) but I can appreciate that others-like Mussorgsky- liked his work. And I imagine you too 😊

Dottie x

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Croix

In another thread you wrote: "How to meet- ask someone younger, I used the newspaper and put in an open letter addressed to the one I wanted to meet. I got lots of replies and after a false start met my current wife of 20+ years."

Wow, that's cool.

I remember back in So. Cal. there was a newspaper that circulated for people to meet people, usually having "SWF seeks SWM" and less than 50 words of cryptic message beneath it. Being the 70's, and the sexual revolution going on, it was interpreted as a one-night dating scene. Never would have considered taking out an ad for a longer term relationship.

Hats off to you buddy, you did something different and it paid off. Well done

SB

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear SB,

Well I was rather a direct type and did not go to pubs or anywhere females congregated for I decided to advertise and let people know. However when I looked in the personals column of the local newspaper I was appalled. It was exactly as you describe, i.e. SWM, 40, seeks slim SWF from romantic times. -Yuck.

So I did it properly, wrote a letter, like I was writing to a real person, saying who I was and about me, and inviting them to say who they were though the anonymity of the mail (to my PO box), with their thoughts on what they wanted.

Cost a fortune and I could only afford to do it once. Funnily enough the paper misprinted part of it and had to run it again the following week -and that was the copy my wife saw - kismet?

Anyway it was rather sad, I received 50 answers which just showed how many lonely people there were nearby.

A happy ending, 20+ years later still in love. I must confess I'd be stuck nowadays with Facebook, eHarmony etc etc.

Croix

dueb
Community Member

hi croix

you still got your motorbike or bikes if yes what are they?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Duebuoi~

I've answered this question in your new thread :

Forums/ Suicidal thoughts and self-harm/ new here,hi everyone.

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Morning Croix and other culture-lovers......you want to talk about the Arts on here right? Reading back a few posts I think my taste in music for example, is a bit cheesy to compare with you folks - my favourite way to listen to the Classics are 3 DVDs I have Hooked on Classics that I adore playing in the car - fabulous stuff! But done in a very lively and "modern" way.

Otherwise I love ABBA, Neil Diamond, Rodgers& Hammerstein and other Music From the Shows, Johnny Mathis, Matt Monroe and obviously more I can't think of now!

Literature - I always have a couple of books on the go..always! Been avid reader since a small child (I could read before I went to school,no-one knows why - the Grade One teachers used to "show me off" to the other teachers - I couldn't understand what the big deal was - I thought everyone could read!!)

I prefer non fiction e.g. autobiographies of real life...(real life is stranger than fiction) and for escapism i enjoy Agatha Christie - you have to pay attention or you miss a clue, or red herring.

She wrote a couple of "autobiographical" novels under the name Mary Westmacott. If you know about Agatha's real life - you can easily see these novels are her pouring out her real-life pain and depression over her marriage break-up, and she also shared the "heroine's" incredibly close relationship with her mother - they adored each other!

I also love the novels by Monica Dickens (yes,Charles great great great etc grand daughter) and as a kid, nothing could surpass Enid Blyton.

Don't get me started on favourite movies...that's another story...and theatre? Aah, the roar of the greasepaint...the smell of the crowd!!

dueb
Community Member
movie's? a street cat named bob,must see for me.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Dottie, sorry for the delay~

The 3 piano version was excellent. The images aren't to my taste, but are interesting snapshots of the artist's life.

I've only a collection of gloomy songs at the moment except

Caro Emerald - Riviera Life talking about getting away from everyday life

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion
Dear Moon~

You’ve put up an awful lot there, so I’ll just respond to a few. In your Hooked on Classics DVDs there are a few with special meaning for me. The first is the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel.

A very long time ago I was a schoolboy in England. This was the very last – and best – thing I sang before my voice broke and I started to sound like Lee Marvin doing Wandering Star. We did an appearance in a leading venue. I’ll always remember it. Then there’s the Radetzky March by Johann Strauss, which always made me want more, as it was the last thing played at the Proms - as an encore.

I’d better stop talking about that DVD set, however before I do I’ll mention in the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg which reminds me of seeing an Ibsen play in Sydney in the '60’s. I studied drama as a second string for a little while.

The more recent stuff – well ABBA -love Money Money Money, plus The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert that used their music. Thought Hugo Weaving was great as Tick and really got into the role.

On books – my goodness this is a long post! I like AG, and really enjoy the ‘Tuppence’ books about secret service and detecting as husband and wife. Monica Dickens – didn’t she write the ‘Follyfoot Farm’ books? A little after my time but I think I remember reading a couple to my son, though England was not his main interest (liked spiders for some reason).

Movies, well I am a quite serious collector with many thousands, some on VHS, but most on DVD nowadays. I also get any books that are of the same.

With Roar of the Greasepaint... I had left London and never saw it, though I have always liked Tony Newley, marvelous, flexible, everything form a war movie to a musical, with Dickens in between.

Saw a lot of theater, perhaps Waiting for Gotot is my favourite.

Anyway that’s enough of me enthusing for now, ta heaps for the post.

Croix