FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Geoff

I quite agree with everything you say in your post. If I miss someone it's probably either a failing in me, for which I unreservedly apologize, or due to circumstances beyong my control.

20 years is more than an impressive feat, it show true dedication

Regards

Croix

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

A Champions platform that has pop up notifications of when someone has replied to a post. I sometimes miss responding to posts because I dont get a notification to respond back. Or if the notifications go directly to email so we know that we need to log into the forums to reply to somone. Sometimes life can be busy and I forget to delegate time to the forum, so notifications can prompt more frequent log ins.

Hello Positive_vibes, agree and this is something we have been wanting for a long time.

It would be interesting to know what's done when the site is 'under maintenance'.

.Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Croix, I'm a bit late in replying back to you, sorry, but my post count would be much more than what it presently is.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone, I just wonder whether the OP is unable to tick a reply they have just made themselves, that is 'Mark this post as helpful' and just leave it to others to tick.

Geoff.

I also think a reminder that says. .........."hello we have missed you in the forums. You have not logged in for X amount of days." I sometimes dont even log in for a few days, a email prompting reminder would be useful just to log in and respond to some posts.

Hi Positive-Vibes89

I found your suggestion really interesting, from the perspective of how different we all are.

If I got an email like the one you described I would feel uneasy, like I’m being monitored, and then I would feel pressured.

Not saying it’s not a great idea for some. But illustrates just how hard it is for bb to meet all the legitimate, yet sometimes competing, needs of the community.

Kind thoughts to you

Hi Everyone!

Hey PostiveV....Welcome to the forums! and thankyou for helping people help themselves with your experience

PVibes mentioned 'I sometimes miss responding to posts because I dont get a notification to respond back' This is a important point that would assist in the long term growth of the forums. Beyond Blue are aware of the benefits of members being notified as you posted above

In the meantime we have our 'My Threads' header where we can check for any replies until the new forum platform is announced

my kindest

Paul

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Geoff

you mentioned 'It would be interesting to know what's done when the site is 'under maintenance'

Even though our current platform is dated it is still a national forum with a huge increase in activity (hits) after covid started in 2020. The system requires maintenance to provide ongoing stability/performance

I hope this helps

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply and understand exactly what you've said, so thank you.

I agree that it's a national forum and that now the hits would have vastly increased since this pandemic developed, that is Covid, and realise many different problems may surface that require attention.

Please, everybody, look after yourself and this includes you, Paul.

Take care.

Geoff.