FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Croix, thank you so much for your compliment, and as you have said, ' 20 years is more than an impressive feat, it shows true dedication' and although this may seem to be a long time, every day is completely different from the day before, that's why I've been on here for so long.

There are many threads, comments and/or replies that I can link back to what I've been through myself and feel that a reply is needed to try and help this person understand that help will certainly benefit them through this time.

I have to apologise to those who have wanted me to reply back to them, but for some reason, I have not seen their comment, as I've been busy elsewhere, that's my fault and will endeavour not to miss out on getting back to them.

Please look after yourselves and thank you again Croix.

Geoff.

Hello Positive_vibes, I absolutely agree with what you've said, 'an email prompting reminder would be useful just to log in and respond to some posts' and I do recall this happening at one stage, probably years ago, where I did receive an email saying that someone had replied to me, but it only happened a couple of times, but it certainly is a fabulous idea, then that particular person waiting for a reply won't be disappointed because they have been able to connect with what you have mentioned.

Thanks, Positive_vibes for suggesting this.

Geoff.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Project Team,

I made a little mistake that potentially could cause misunderstanding & confusion. So, I have a suggestion, for a future upgrade. (personally sooner rather than later).

A Glossary of Terms & Abbreviations in Common Use on The Forums & across this website.

I think it would be of use to have a place where the terms we use are explained. Good for people who've never had occasion to take an interest before, newly diagnosed people who want to understand what the diagnosis means, & for family & friends, carers, etcetera, for their own education & understanding.

I haven't found a thread for that, but I think, it ought to be on top, in the menu somewhere, rather than beneath a layer or two of forum topics.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.

mmMekitty

Hi all

That's not a bad idea !

But please feel comfortable mekitty it's okay to not know all the terms, and to ask if u need x

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

Re getting emails when someone replies, I'm okay without that, but I can understand some may appreciate it.

I also wander, beyond the crisesacheck in email, I wander if there cukd be just a ageneral way to check in with someone if they say they are feeling unsafe, abruptly leave the forum or get visibly distressed when they post, might make things feel a bit more personal....

Yeh I am not into getting email when someone reply’s.
but I did mention a fair while ago , if we were able to send a private message like I have on another forum. It’s great

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Harpbird~

I have been thinking about your suggestion of private messaging here on the Forum. You may be right however I do have a couple of reservations:

Each message would still have to be moderated like all the rest, it is how this place remains safe for everyone. Not impossible but maybe more load on the moderators.

The thing that really worries me is that the Support Forum is here to support everyone, and all posts are visible to everyone - you can even Google them.

The idea is that it gives people information, hope, comfort and companionship, which PMs hidden out of sight would not do. It might be worthwhile to remember that for every person that posts, there are very many who never do, but gain nevertheless by being able to read all that is here.

What do you reckon?

Croix

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Would that also extend to the CC private forum? - PM by any other name perhaps...

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Moderation
I wonder why it is necessary to send a notification when a post is under consideration - particularly when it makes no reference to the post in question...
It would seem more prudent to attach a 'pending' flag to MyThreads (perhaps a star or question mark) which can be identified immediately as being received but unconfirmed. A follow up tick or cross could advise outcome without the accompanying "if you are in any distress..." dialog which actually leaves me feeling like I have done something wrong!
This would also assist 'heavy traffic' situations where posters wonder if what they have sent has actually reached its destination or just become lost into the ether.

Hello all

I'm not for message privately, I think it night be hard to keep it safe.

I think there should be a level below sophie ms and official moderators, peers who can let's say sign up to help with moderation.

Then if someone gets upset, or there is something offensive said, that person would be able to email the users affected.

It would be more meaningful I think, then getting an email from an anonymous "moderator" generically saying to hope Ur OK, because that email is, like or not, from someone above u, a clinician, and its not so trauma sensitive that they send these emails.

It still feels like an act of power of clinical over the user.

I think maybe some users should be able to lightly moderate, including emailing users in distress or those maybe getting lost in the forums or accidentally braking the rules.