FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

I agree with you Hanna, I try to avoid that stuff. But thank you for addressing it with the mods. Take care.

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your patience tonight, 
As mentioned to Hanna privately, we take feedback of this nature very seriously and encourage all of you to express your concerns so we have the best understanding of what we can do to improve. We’ve removed content from the coronavirus thread we believe may be potentially harmful and will review the thread once more at a later date. Again, we urge you all to report any content you find troubling. 

Hey Sleepy21, Matchy69 and blondguy, there’s a thread which goes into detail about why we don’t allow the use of profile pictures that depict a member's face, you can find it here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/welcome-and-orientation/changes-to-moderation-policies-no-more-face-pics-in-profile-images

Our main reasoning is that the beyondblue forums are an anonymous space where we discourage the sharing of any information that may personally identify you to someone reading.

Hey Tayla. thanks for your suggestion, it might be one worth reconsidering. Although, on an anonymous forum like this, your display name is your key means of identification and therefore,  frequent changes of a name can be confusing for the community when trying to support you.  Unfortunately, t's the nature of an online, anonymous space like this that members will come and go, and sometimes you won't have closure on how someone is doing. We understand this can be upsetting, so we've prepared this thread to discuss issues of looking after ourselves while supporting others

Thanks Tayla. I felt I had to speak out about some posts there that I felt could encourage dangerous behaviour. Take care of yourself xx

Guest_9043
Community Member
I am wondering if it is possible for a thread to be created specifically for daughters of Narcissistic mothers? It is so extremely common and it is really hard to find support online. I know I am feeling utterly alone in trying to cope and deal with this.

eight
Community Member
like, do you mean a whole board or just a thread? you don't need a mods permission to write threads.

Guest_9043
Community Member
Sorry I mean a whole board.

Hi 2quik

I think I know what you mean .....a dedicated subject header re 'Daughters of Narcissistic mothers' ? I respect and understand where you are coming from (from my own experience)....yet best left to someone creating their own individual thread topic on the matter

I hope that is somewhat helpful 2quik

my kindest always

Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't think I will create one just yet myself. I am in extremely early phases of stage one healing. No real great dent at this point. Thanks for replying.

2quik

shucks46
Community Member

Maybe add a option to where members are able to communicate privately with each other.

I just replied to a response offering contact details to a registered health care professional but not really keen on putting their information out in the public eye.

remona_s
Community Member
Not sure if this is an option already but have a search/filter option to find threads similar to yours by putting in keywords so there’s not a lot of double ups/repeats