FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

workplace harrassment / bullying maybe??

jacky78
Community Member

Hey legend need some trusty advise please,

I have a work colleague that continuously make comment about my career prospect saying im underpaid why I'm working so hard. This stress me out, I like my job and don't care with the pay. 

He also doubt the importance the role of my job, he's a higher up and I'm a technician. He does all the calling and I did all the background and paperwork. Does this mean my job is of lower importance than his. His communication often highlight this as the case

Do you guys consider this bullying or harrasment as its impacting my daily life as I'm stressed due to this

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Nimi
Community Member

Hey Jacky, this does sound stressful to me. It does not make sense for someone to try and make you worry about the fact that you "work so hard". If you have already expressed that you enjoy your work and would like to not speak about this topic anymore then I would say in the very least that this constitutes as a disruption. It is creating more stress for you, and if it is another method of undervaluing your hard work then it is a form of harrassment, intentional or not. Is there anyone that you can speak to about this safely in your workplace? You deserve to feel safe and supported at work and this sounds like a very difficult colleague to work with to me!

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jacky,

Thanks for sharing your story. The behavior of your colleague, particularly if it's continuous and diminishing the value of your role, can indeed be stressful and concerning.

In the context of workplace dynamics and Australian workplace law, it's important to differentiate between bullying, harassment, and general poor behavior. Workplace bullying is characterized by repeated and unreasonable behavior directed towards an employee or a group of employees that creates a risk to health and safety. Harassment, on the other hand, is often related to discrimination based on factors such as race, gender, religion, or disability.

From what you've described, if your colleague's comments are repetitive, undermining, and causing you stress, it could potentially be considered workplace bullying. It's important to note that feeling undervalued or having your role's importance downplayed can significantly impact your work environment and mental health.

Steps you might consider:

1. Document the Incidents: Keep a record of the instances where your colleague makes these comments. Note the date, time, what was said, and if there were any witnesses. This documentation can be crucial if you decide to take formal action.

2. Communicate Your Feelings: If you feel comfortable, you might consider having a direct conversation with your colleague. Express how their comments are impacting you. Sometimes, people are unaware of the effect of their words.

3. Seek Support: Talk to someone you trust in your workplace, like your supervisor or HR representative. They can provide guidance and support, and if necessary, initiate formal processes to address the issue.

4. Review Company Policies: Familiarise yourself with your company's policies on workplace behavior, bullying, and harassment. This will give you a clearer understanding of your rights and the procedures in place to address such issues.

5. External Advice: If the situation doesn't improve, you may consider seeking advice from external bodies like Fair Work or a legal professional specializing in employment law.

The importance of a job isn't solely determined by its visibility or the level of authority it holds. Every role in an organisation, especially technical and supportive roles like yours, contributes significantly to the overall functioning and success of the business. This is part of Australian values and workplace culture. You have the right to a respectful and safe work environment. Your concerns are valid, and it's okay to seek help in addressing them.

Warmly,

Mark

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi jacky78

Sounds like you're someone who has a really good work ethic, no matter the role you're in. Others have what could be classed as a poor work ethic where, no matter how much or how little they're paid, they choose not to put their all into their job for one reason or another. At the end of the day, everyone's paid to do a good job.

If you asked me to choose between a job I despise that pays a large income and one I love that pays far less, I'd choose the job that pays less pretty much every time. If a job with a big income comes with a big level of ongoing dis-ease, you can pretty much bet that level of dis-ease or unease is going to manifest as physical disease at some point. No job's worth that. Our dream job is the one we love, the one that brings us joy and a sense of achievement and satisfaction.

In my opinion, just about every job is important in one way or another. My kids and I would have far less knowledge if it wasn't for teachers. If there were no police, I may come to fear leaving my home. While GPs play an important part in our lives, I always take time to give thanks to the person who cleaned the shopping centre toilet I used. If not for that person, I would be walking into a cubicle covered in pee and excrement. Not a pleasant thought. Not good for our health either. If not for the educated mechanic who I take my car to, I'd be left wondering whether my brakes would work the way they're meant to when I next drove my car. Everyone has an important role to play in each other's lives. In my opinion, I think some people are seriously overpaid and others are underpaid.

It's all a matter of perception and it sounds like your co-worker simply has a very different perception to you. Plenty of unhappy people out there who'd prefer to critique what we're doing, rather than focus on matters closer to home. Try not to let their opinions interfere with how you are feeling your job, especially if that job feels satisfying and joyful in many ways.

Thank you very good advise highly appreciate it

jacky78
Community Member

Thank you very much Mark - this really helped me 

jacky78
Community Member

Thank you Nimi its great to clarify as this definitely cause unnecessary stress - I will seek help from you. Its great to have this forum 

jacky78
Community Member

Sorry that meant help from work Thanks

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Very happy to help Jacky, let us know if you have more questions or you would like to share more. Hope things are getting better.

Warmly,

Mark

Very good advice Mark - I am facing similar bullying in my workplace - I have attended a mediation session but it hasn’t helped as she chose not to respond to some of the issues Ali raised and dismissed them and commented that I should be mature about the situation. Her behaviour towards me is intimidating / she likes control and wants to dictate what I should or should not do. I am at a loss as to what I can do next 😞