FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Hey Azizahaly...I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great. Many of us here feel exactly the same...never feel alone, we all understand.

I wonder does anyone wake during the night with rapid heartbeat .I seems to continue into next day.and feel.really anxious all the time

GingerMan505
Community Member
Hi annabay,

For me it's a severe tightening of the chest, to the point where I've been scared I was having a heart attack. I ended up having scans on my heart and lungs during exercise, which is when I discovered it wasn't physical symptoms at all. It was a pretty scary realisation for me.

In addition to that I've had trouble sleeping, but I've found meditation (particularly body scans for me) have been really useful in calming the mind and allowing me to drift off.

Hope you're doing well

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Markev,

I often wake up during the night with a rapid heart rate. Usually around 2am.
I usually get up, feeling very shaky, to go get a drink of water before trying to go back to sleep.

AnxietyHopeful
Community Member

For me, it’s been nausea, dry gagging and not getting much sleep, roughly 4-5hrs only, 6 if I’m lucky

Very reassuring to read that I’m not the only one out there going through the same thing, and I can only hope I can be as strong as some of the fellow forum posters here

Kahil12
Community Member

Yep, sharp stabbing pains in the stomach is exactly what I experience!

It's funny you mentioned your swimming carnival as the first time I really experienced this feeling was when I was way younger at my school sports carnival.

Legit the weeks leading up I would have these sharp stabbing pains in my stomach.

Curious to hear if you overcome this in any way?

Gracie63
Community Member
Been to the doctor and have been put on medication. I am starting to feel less anxious and my mind seems a lot quieter. I would say that I have a better handle on my anxiety and have put some coping mechanisms into place to help lesson the attacks such as meditation, breathing techniques etc. I still have moments where they are really bad but they have definitely lessened.

Hi Gracie63 and all the members above that have posted here on Annabays thread topic too!

I also felt the same after experiencing chronic anxiety in the early 1980's. The meds also provided me with a solid foundation on which I could heal combined with regular visits to my doc

Thankyou Gracie63 and everyone for being a part of the discussion

my kind thoughts....Paul

Vallie
Community Member
My anxiety started when my husband passed away and I find living alone is making it worse. I don't want to be like this but I don't know what to do.

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi vallie.

im sorry to hear about your husband.
have you any pets?

Not_Batman