FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Tugboat
Community Member

Hello Nett

I have been suffering with health anxiety for over thirty years..... I know a long time hey! I have many months where I am ok and cruise through life, until I have some form of pain... be it stomach, legs, throat whatever I always think this is it and I’m dying! I have tried many ways of dealing with this but unfortunately have not found the right ways of coping, however will keep trying

Trixie_A
Community Member

Hi everyone!

Having a bit of trouble with my anxiety lately - It’s all very new. Currently experiencing hot flushes, facial numbness and tingling going in my arms. Anyone else experience these?

Hi Everyone and thankyou for being a part of Beyond Blue

Hey Tugboat....I hear you loud and clear with your symptoms and 30 years is a long time to have them...My symptoms are back in the 1st/2nd page on this thread topic...My symptoms started when I was 23 in 1983

Hey Trixie A....Welcome and thankyou for your post...! Subject to your GP's thoughts....these can be symptoms of anxiety. When we have difficulty coping on a daily basis....its always a good to see our doc

Paul

rubyroo123
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have found this forum so helpful and comforting if that's the right word? My anxiety has recently become unmanageable again and I am finding physical symptoms worse than they ever were. My legs start to feel weak and heavy, headaches, dizziness, sweaty palms and feeling like I can't breathe. Sometimes I feel like my body freezes and if I move I will become physically sick. I think a stressful new job has brought this on and I am wondering if it is worth continuing the job or if I will be able to manage this with some help from a Psychologist. I have seen one before but I have never experienced my anxiety this bad so I am really struggling to manage it. I feel thankful to have a community thread where we can post our feelings, it makes me feel better.

Hi rubyroo123

Welcome to the forums....and thankyou for the super helpful feedback too!

you mentioned that your symptoms have increased since commencing your new job. I understand your situation as I had the same symptoms before and commencing a new position as well

I have no doubt that you are more than qualified for your new position....Your symptoms are very common..yet horrible to experience

Sometimes we undervalue our GP....I still see my doc for support with the same anxiety symptoms as yourself....Our GP can be a huge help prior to seeing a psychologist ..Any questions are welcome

my kind thoughts

Paul

GCkathy
Community Member
Hi All , I love this forum it helps so much to read symptoms that are the same as mine and that I'm not alone , chest pain , rib pain , shoulder pain , tingles and the rest . The worst thing I think I did was get a Fitbit as now I currently check my heartrate a million times a day and if it is elevated then anxiety kicks in. I have had all the tests with my dr and am fine blood pressure was slightly up and take medication for that , see a psychologist but doesn't seem to help , the fear is 24/7 that something is wrong , has anyone tried hypnosis and if so has it helped , feeing desperate for some relief

Yes I’ve been very anxious the past few weeks and yes I’m still getting those night sweats although I’ve been sleeping with two blankets and a jumper, so maybe I need to change things up

Soleildor
Community Member

I am new to Beyond Blue so I hope my responses are not repeating what others say.

These are my anxiety symptoms:

Helplessness.

A knot in my stomach.

Headaches.

Sometimes a strong urge to cry.

Sometimes a strong urge to run away.

Sleepless nights.

Great sadness.

Breathlessness on occasions.

Hi Everyone

Hey GCkathy..Welcome!.Thankyou for your super kind post! I have been on the forums since 2016 and any anxiety feelings are awful to have...I understand the pain you are going through with these awful symptoms...I havent seen any posts about hypnosis being helpful...yet

If our anxiety symptoms have a negative impact on our ability to function on a daily basis....seeing our GP on a frequent basis is crucial...Any questions are always welcome GCkathy!

my kind thoughts

Paul

Jill_G
Community Member

Hi Everyone hope you are all well and keeping safe.

I havent posted in a while but wanted to say before l got anxiety l had a bout of vertigo and from that l have been left with persistant dizziness/pppd....its been worrying me alot lately ...lve been doing really well with my anxiety that lm scared it will flare up again due to this dizziness. Am l alone in this.