FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Gracie63
Community Member

Omg I carnt believe this but im so glad to read your post as I dont feel so alone or as if im going crazy. I to have your symptoms and have also been to the hospital a few times in the last few months and have had all the tests. All come back fine and yes mine is from severe anxiety. I have always had anxiety but it has got worse in the last six months with the physical symptoms in my heart and chest area. Of course when I think the worst it makes make anxiety worse such a catch 22. Take care , your not alone

Azza56
Community Member
Yesterday on Christmas I had one of my worst attacks yet it lasted pretty much all day and I felt extreme nauseous and weak. It lasted about 7 hours then went away and I could finally eat something. Then today I woke up late and when I ate I started feeling sick again. Lots of upper abdominal discomfort and wind. My bowel movements have also been irregular. Has anyone else experienced this?

Gracie63
Community Member

Yes I have had problems with abdominal discomfort and I to have been having loads of wind. My Christmas Day was much the same as yours and it lasted all day until I finally took some medication that helped me sleep but then when I woke up next day I still felt nauseous, no energy and stomach pain. I have had lots of panic feelings and feel such dread. Today has been a bit better and I have managed to go out and sit by the water for half hour . It definitely comes and goes and I have to really try hard to not let my mind go to the worst possibilities .

Azza56
Community Member
Yeah I was definitely far better on Boxing Day compared to Christmas but since Boxing Day it hasn’t improved much. I’m so sick of it all so I’m booking an appointment to see the psychiatrist. Today I’ve been having some aches in the stomach and some sharp but also achey chest pains and they almost seem to be linked. I google symptoms like this even though sometimes it doesn’t help and a possible thing is acute pericarditis. Although I doubt it, I’m always thinking it could be something else other than anxiety causing this just because it feels so dreadful, painful and exhausting. But I’m glad to hear I’m not alone with any of my symptoms and I wish you and myself luck with our conditions.

Gracie63
Community Member
Yes definitely not alone and I am also going to make appt with doctor, going to get some blood tests done . Not sure weather getting them done makes me feel better Well I guess if they come back all clear that’s good and then I will have to sort out meds to help with this awful panic disorder. Anyway I’m sorry you have this but I’m glad I have someone that relates and it sure helps to feel not so alone.

Kisha_R
Community Member
I’m curious to know if anyone else gets this but for some reason I’ve been having anxiety attacks in the car and my symptoms consist of tingly arm, nausea, dizziness, double vision and a switch flicks in my head like something literally moves inside (yes I’ve had ct scan and an mri and I’m fine) but yeah just curious to see if anyone else has similar

exly
Community Member

I get sharp stabbing pains in my stomach and end up crippled from them and it lasts for a while.

It's usually only triggered when I do swimming carnivals at school because of bad experiences of being pushed too far and almost drowning due to my asthma.

When I have my panic attacks/anxiety it's 7/10 accompanied by my asthma. Being told to take deep breaths doesn't help because I already can't breathe from the asthma.

Whenever is swimming carnival season at school I will usually get the stabbing pains, terrible and painful headache, start sweating uncontrollably no matter if it's freezing or hot outside/inside, shaky hands and I feel like I'm going to vomit. All these happen at the same time if I'm scared about having to do something or worrying about somebody/something.

The stabbing pain is the most common to happen when I'm having an asthma attack from swimming though.

Me too!!

Anyone else get overwhelming arm aches?? I get the strangest upper arm aches that can last a week sometimes.

MelBouza
Community Member
I have been experiencing quite bad anxiety symptoms the last week or so. The most common being nausea/not wanting to eat. I’ve been ill the last couple holiday periods — so I think my trigger this time has been worrying that I’ll feel sick. Which has made me anxious. Which has then actually made me feel sick. Awesome viscious cycle.
I also get arm pain/aching, tightness in my chest, constant fidgeting.
Have only really dealt with anxiety for the last year or so and hoping I can get it under control!

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Wow, a lot of new posters on here. WELCOME!!!

sometimes triggers are hard to identify simply, or right away. Right now im sitting in the passenger seat taking a drive. Pain across the chest and an empty feeling have been with me all day. and you know the staggered gasping breathing you have when youve been crying, yep that too.

I had a good sleep last night, even had a sleep in. I havent been crying. So why am i feeling this way? I wish i knew. Im not worried, im not in any danger, but i just need to acknowledge the body, practice some mindfulness or breathing exercises.

Not_Batman