FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What did I do.

Justin95
Community Member
Why do people fake their coughs when I’m around. I’m getting anxiety when I hear people do it. It really hurts. What is wrong with me. At the moment I’m listening to people fake cough on YouTube so I can get used to it but it damages me. I feel like I’m rejected wherever I go.
12 Replies 12

Mk2692
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out here. It sounds like you are going through a hard time, i'm sorry about that. Have you spoken to anyone about your anxiety, If you are feeling anxious around people when they cough? If you haven't, I would recommend to see your GP and ask for a referral to a psychologist or a counsellor to talk about the problem. I think you might feel anxious because of the pandemic and the uncertainty it brings. Now with everything opening up and life is somewhat returning back to normal, it is making you anxious when you hear people cough. It is normal to feel anxious about COVID even if you are vaccinated. I think it could be something some people experience now, but eventually things will get better soon. Hope this helps. Thanks.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Justin95,

I don't really understand, so, I'd like to ask, what are people are doing that tells you they are faking coughs around you?

You don't know them, they don't know you, is that correct? If so, why would they do this?

I am just trying to understand.

I am also hopeful that as more people are vaccinated, & boosters are given as well, & fewer people end up in hospitals, with serious illness from COVID-19, all our anxious feelings around COVID-19 will ease.

& why the bleep would people on YouTube be posting videos of themselves faking coughs?

I think it would be better to find someone, a counsellor, therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist to help you with what you are experiencing. If you have not done so, your GP is a good place to start.

mmMekitty

Because Mr Pussycat Strangers cough at me because they want to startle me or bully me psychologically. And people post YouTube videos of theme selves coughing to illustrate their intellectual superiority. I hope you catch on;)

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Justin95,

I'm still not really getting this, unless these strangers & people on YouTube have nothing better to do???? & why YOU, specifically? I don't know you, & I don't feel any urge to fake coughing for any effect whatsoever. I wonder why people waste their own time posting videos of themselves acting as if they actually have no sense at all. If they are trying to prove their superiority, in my opinion, they have failed.

Truly, if, while you are out in public places, & you think someone is faking coughing to startle or bully you, the best way to respond is to not react. You could wear earphones & play music, so a sudden noise will not so easily startle you.

If watching the videos is not helping, then I think it's time to talk to someone about this problem. It is too disruptive to your life & your emotions.

All the best,

mmMekitty

I have next door neighbours that cough and sneeze loudly on purpose, they don’t know me but they can see through walls so they know what I’m doing, for example if I’m having a good time playing video games the neighbours will cough. I know it seems ridiculous but that’s what a believe no matter what other people think. Also it is really hard to ignore the coughs because it eats my hope for Jesus. I see a psychologist that also happens to cough but she insists she has a sore throat, yet I know she’s just a power hungry citizen. I HONESTLY act as if I’m doing something busy like reading because they can see me through my bedroom, these citizens are eating my freedom.

Justin95
Community Member
Passive aggressive bullying like fake coughing and sniffing really drops my mood and self esteem. This type of sneaky bullying really has impacted my mental health. To me whenever I hear a stranger cough it feels as if a judge just said “Order, order in the court!” This bullying implies my lack capabilities and an adjustment in intellect is needed. How do you cope with this type of bullying.? Just curious

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Justin95,

When I had been bullied, the one thing that helped the most was realising the bullying was not actually about me. Sure, it was aimed at me, but no, really, the bullies have issues of their own that have nothing to do with me. I could not care a crap what they say or do anymore, because I know it's not about me. Even if they were to yell my name, I KNOW it is not about me.

Often, bullies are lonely people, who feel small & powerless. I feel sad there are people who spend their precious time being mean to others. There are many,, many far better things to do with the time we have.

I'm curious, have you asked your Psychologist for ideas about how to cope with the bullying?

mmMekitty

I’ve been seeing the same Psychologist for 2years. The only advice I get is to relax and practice deep breathing. How the hell can I relax when I’m getting bullied? I’ve applied these coping strategies, but the bullying gets even worse when I relax. When they see me relax they think my intellect is taking a vacation while theirs are supercharged. They want me to apply my intellectual capabilities. I disagree when you say they are powerless, I definitely believe they have power. Just like a court room judge has the power to say “Order, order in the court!”.

Post: Hi my name is Justin and I think there is something wrong with me. Let me explain, my social anxiety has reached its severity when I dropped out of high school 4 years ago. During my time of unemployment I rarely go outside because people always fake their coughs and sneeze when they look at me. I’m not precise what’s causing them to do it, maybe they don’t like me or they think I’m beneath them. I have a theory but it seems ridiculous, when my intellects condition is shut down the bullies will assess me and fake their cough to illustrate their superiority. They want to startle me and want me to revise my citizenship capabilities, in other words update my mentality. I am applying my best to act like a productive member of society. These passive aggressive bullies are preventing me from going back to school. School is their breeding ground. They are power hungry and domineering reptilians. Why would they be so mean if they could spread positivity instead. Whenever I hear people fake cough of sniff it’s as if a power hungry court room judge yells “Order, order in the court!”