FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What can I do?

lookingforme
Community Member

I have my birthday party tonight and I'm having ever increasing anxiety about it. Every time I think about it, I get that awful feeling and I try to breathe through it but it's getting harder to control.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

20 Replies 20

Hi Neil,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum; my condolences.  There's nothing else I can really say except ask you if you're doing okay?  I'm sorry about that.  I'll be here to listen if you wanted to talk about it.

I'm glad you could give little Tess a home.  I find that no matter what's wrong with them, dogs steal your heart anyway.  I used to have two dogs, one of them went completely blind a little early in life and since then she never really left my side (though she was close with me initially).  They had the same kind of relationship at first, knowing their place with each other, but they got close in the end.  And I totally understand about rambling about them.  Jack is a Jack Russell/Kelpie?  That is an interesting combination.  Very cute.  I say "no matter what's wrong with them" because my Nan used to have a German Shepherd who liked hunting me for sport (that may be an exaggeration but not so much at the same time) and I still couldn't help myself to try and pet her.

Yeah, that moment with my GP triggered something in me, didn't really feel the same again.  It felt like getting hit in the head with a bat, but in that disconnected microsecond where you can't feel the pain from it yet but you're confused and disoriented because you're not quite sure what happened.  Unfortunately, I will have to go back because I have to see my knee surgeon again, and I'll need a referral from her to see him as I got it from her initially.  I just don't want to have to go through her asking me about these issues again, because I don't want to talk to her about it.

I will definitely check out the GPs on this website, it's comforting to know that some of them might be able to help me.  When I called up beyondblue, they suggested I go to the counselling service at uni as the sessions may be cheaper - for low income people - and I wouldn't need a referral.  I was thinking I'll try that out first, see if I can get some coping mechanisms started.  Unless I do need medication, or something, I'm sure they'll tell me.

Betterer made me smile, thanks 🙂

Joelle