FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Should i start medication?

mermaidgirl
Community Member

Hi all.

Dr has prescribed me to start medication. I am extremely worried about the side effects and what they will do to me. I have convinced myself that I will get them all especially the dizziness as I get dizzy spells anyway when I have anxiety.

My thoughts are that I will wait to take them after Christmas when my husband will be home on holidays so I won't feel so uneasy and also so my kids are safe. Should I wait or start now?

Tnoughts?

5 Replies 5

Pixie15
Community Member

Hello mermaidgirl,

The main thought I had when I read your post is possibly you might like to consider if putting off taking them might make you more anxious and if this would be worse than the side effects. But if your uncertain might be worth going back for another chat with your doctor. Especially if the potential for dizziness is not something you have discussed. Chemists can be really helpful as well with advising you on what might be the best time of day to take it.

cheers,

Pixie.

Kengy
Community Member

Hi mermaidgirl

I had similar concerns when my doctor first put me on medication for anxiety, but if I hadn't taken it, then I doubt I'd still be here. I was extremely suicidal due to the anxiety being constant and never-ending, and the medication greatly eased that. However, sometimes meds do cause side effects, so I can understand why you would want your husband around to help with the kids. Talk to your GP again, and see if they can alleviate your fears.

mermaidgirl
Community Member
Thanks. I have spoken to my Dr about this issue and she suggested if I am really worried to take the meds at bedtime so I can sleep the side effects off. But of course I worry that I may wake up dizzy or something or still feel dizzy during the day. I suppose I am just after some insight into how manageable the side effects are too...can you carry on with your day etc.

BballJ
Community Member

Hi mermaidgirl,

I totally understand your concerns with the medication, I always get anxious if I will have side affects to it, partly because I have an average liver so i am always worried, when my doctor prescribed my medication I was very worried, but at the same time you almost have to trust your doctor to a certain degree especially if you have told them all your concerns, did you mention the dizzyness you deal with? If not, please go back and discuss this and make sure the medication is right for you, many people on here swear by medication so I'm sure you'll get good advice about it but most of all contact your doctor for all your concerns if you haven't already.

I like the idea of waiting until after christmas when your husband is home so it gives you peace of mind as well as that is something I would do but as i said please consult your doctor.

My best for you,

Jay

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Mermaidgirl, there's no doubt that when our doctor wants to prescribe antidepressants to us, we always worry about the side-effects which we may have read on the net or what other people have had to go through, but it doesn't mean that you will have to suffer from them, but when you have already talked yourself into believing that you will have dizziness then psychosomatically you are convining yourself that this will happen, but you do this only because you're scared.
I understand that you do get dizzy when you have anxiety, but I would ask your doctor to start you off on a low dosage, which is normally what happens, so that when your husband comes home you maybe a different wife and certainly mum, so yes I would suggest you start taking them, remember you can always stop. Geoff. x