FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ROCD - Relationship OCD

Jammai
Community Member

Can anyone tell me if there is anyone in Perth WA that can help with Relationship OCD. I have discovered a book called "Love you, Love you not" and I have finally found out that it is a real condition. i just want someone to help me with CBT in trying to control the thoughts that I get.

Would really find any feedback very helpful

regards Jammai

4 Replies 4

CheeseSlices
Community Member

This is not something I have heard of. But CBT is available through your GP (10 free medicare sessions per year) or there are many online CBT courses. If you have found a workbook helpful in the past, there are also many CBT work books available.

My OCD was in the form of graphic/violent intrusive thoughts, and constant doom/badness. That must be terrifying to have towards a partner 😞

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jammai,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately we can't give out any specific details here.

One thing I would recommend is using the APS website to find a psychologist; you can then choose OCD or Relationships (or both) as well as entering your postcode -

http://www.psychology.org.au/FindaPsychologist/?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=Sidebar%2BTile&utm_campaign=FaP

Thank you for the link.

Kind regards

Jammai

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Jammai, I haven't heard of this book as I've had OCD for 56 years but I'm sure a psychologist may know about it, and being in a relationship and having this illness does make it difficult, especially if your spouse/partner won't recognise how it restricts you in what you want to do.
When I was married not only did I have it but also one of our sons has it, and he had extreme habits/traits that my wife wanted to see a psychologist, but with me I had learnt to hide all my habbits/traits so that nobody could see me doing them.
Doing CBT will only work if your spouse is acceptable in wanting to help you, because if she criticises everything you try and do then it won't work as much as it would if she understand what this illness is about.
There was a booklet you could get from BB free of charge which explains all the different types of depression, including OCD, but I can't see the link, instead you could email BB and ask them for the free booklet, otherwise type OCD in the top search bar because there is a multitude of different comments on OCD.
Please get back to us as this topic always interests me. Geoff.