Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

BenD Anxiety when drinking?
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone else gets anxiety peaks after they start drinking alcohol? It seems to have been happening to me for a little while now, but I've just got home from work, had half a beer and my anxiety has rocketed to about 8/10... View more

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone else gets anxiety peaks after they start drinking alcohol? It seems to have been happening to me for a little while now, but I've just got home from work, had half a beer and my anxiety has rocketed to about 8/10? I'm pretty good at managing it now with mindfulness, CBT and SSRI's but it would be good if I could conquer this hurdle as well seeing as alcohol plays a rather large supplementary role in my social life. I did have a pretty bad experience a few years back related to a drink driving accident (I wasn't the driver) that caused me some physical and mental pain, so I suspect that could be related but I'm not sure... Thanks, Ben

Macka90 PLEASE HELP HAVING A RELAPSE
  • replies: 2

Hi I have not had a bad anxiety attack for a few months now and now for some reason i am having heathy anxiety really bad, i don't know what has brought this on and its scaring me, i am still on all my meds. It's not as bad as the last time as the la... View more

Hi I have not had a bad anxiety attack for a few months now and now for some reason i am having heathy anxiety really bad, i don't know what has brought this on and its scaring me, i am still on all my meds. It's not as bad as the last time as the last time it was so bad i couldn't look after my kids, this time its more I feel like I'm sore all over and I've lost my appetite a bit but i am still eating, i feel nausea, i also feel this impending doom. I am hoping someone out there can help me through this as i have never had a relapse and not sure how to handle it..

MisterM Extremely embarrassed/shy asking for things in stores with customers around
  • replies: 4

Hi all, I have had this problem since childhood. When I go shopping I get very shy to speak loud enough for customers to hear what I am asking as I fear what they will think. I went in to a retailer over the weekend to order a Beatles blu ray in and ... View more

Hi all, I have had this problem since childhood. When I go shopping I get very shy to speak loud enough for customers to hear what I am asking as I fear what they will think. I went in to a retailer over the weekend to order a Beatles blu ray in and the attendant couldn't hear me I was speaking so softly, she thought I was saying Equals. I was thinking customers in line behind me would think I am a loser, nerd for ordering a Beatles blu ray. Anyone here like me?

Missmia Choices. Why are they so hard?

I am trying to start over - new town, new life. I need to make new friends but as a sufferer of depression and anxiety, it isn't an easy thing for me, a middle aged woman. I went to a meeting of the local bridge club as I had learned to play basic br... View more

I am trying to start over - new town, new life. I need to make new friends but as a sufferer of depression and anxiety, it isn't an easy thing for me, a middle aged woman. I went to a meeting of the local bridge club as I had learned to play basic bridge some time ago and hoped to improve and also meet some potential friends. At the very start of the first game, another player became impatient with me because he thought I was taking too long to sort my hand of cards into order. I spoke to him very calmly and said I hadn't played for a long time and, if he was going to pressure me, it would only slow things down even more. He backed off a little, but still continued to give non-verbal messages of impatience. Although I maintained a calm appearance, I played the rest of the session (about 3 hours) very badly. His behaviour caused a huge rush of anxiety, causing me to forget the rules, overlook obvious plays, and a total lack of confidence. But outwardly I stayed calm and polite. Afterwards I was exhausted, depressed and tearful for two days. In reveiwing the situation I decided not to continue with bridge. I decided I can't manage such a challenging game as well as my social anxiety. The problem is that one of the people there is keen to have a bridge partner and asked me to fill that role. She wants me to play twice a week as her partner. The thought fills me with dread. But on the other hand, it is so sad to turn down her offer of inclusion, which means a lot to a person in my circumstances. And my refusal may offend. Why is life so hard?

Feather_Robin Feeling lonely and scared
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone. I have had anxiety all my life it just comes and goes. But it's really here this time and I feel so horrible. I'm worrying about everything my mind is racing, I feel sick and my heart is constantly racing. I've tried to be logical and ca... View more

Hi everyone. I have had anxiety all my life it just comes and goes. But it's really here this time and I feel so horrible. I'm worrying about everything my mind is racing, I feel sick and my heart is constantly racing. I've tried to be logical and calm myself down but I can't stop thinking about the worst possible situation. I feel like I just want to run away or be a dark room and just sleep so i don't have to be awake to feel like this. I've tried my a b and cs but it's just not working. I just wanted to post on here so I don't feel as lonely and I just need someone to tell me everything is going to be okay xx

Lara1 Will it ever go away?
  • replies: 3

Ive suffered from anxiety and depression intensely for the past 3 years. Ive been struggling with horrifying inner thoughts, feeling like I'm never good enough and numerous panic attacks. Ive been seeing psychologists and psychiatrists and I've been ... View more

Ive suffered from anxiety and depression intensely for the past 3 years. Ive been struggling with horrifying inner thoughts, feeling like I'm never good enough and numerous panic attacks. Ive been seeing psychologists and psychiatrists and I've been doing everything they tell me but my anxiety still doesn't seem to go away. My mind blows events out of proportion dramatically which increases my anxiety. Does anyone else feel the same as me? You try so hard, you do everything the doctors/psychologists/everyone tells you to do yet no results have come... and its been years now. I definitely have improved but the feelings haven't gone. I'm so exhausted from feeling this way and i just want it to stop. Id do anything to make myself more happy - any advice?

MisterM Needle phobia

Hi all, I have this bad needle phobia, I can't watch another person getting injected, it makes me feel sick. I also nearly fainted a few times when getting blood taken. This is a problem more so now that I am considering going back to uni to study nu... View more

Hi all, I have this bad needle phobia, I can't watch another person getting injected, it makes me feel sick. I also nearly fainted a few times when getting blood taken. This is a problem more so now that I am considering going back to uni to study nursing. A nurse I know said the field involves injecting patients. Anyone here manage to overcome their needle phobia? If so, how? Thank you.

Lulu_411 My first panic/anxiety attack
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone! I wanted to share my story of my first anxiety/panic attack to 1.see if anyone can relate (feels good to know you are not alone) & 2.i may provide someone else out there with the comfort of a similar story to theirs. ive always been a wo... View more

Hi everyone! I wanted to share my story of my first anxiety/panic attack to 1.see if anyone can relate (feels good to know you are not alone) & 2.i may provide someone else out there with the comfort of a similar story to theirs. ive always been a worrier. My mind has always run at a million miles an hour ever since I can remember. The endless possibilities of what could go wrong, I never saw it as a problem but just that I was a cautious person. i had been in the same career for almost 6 years. I was comfortable in my field, but I was bored. I felt I needed s change. I decided to move on to a COMPLETELY different industry that I had no experience in. I was nervous, but excited. the interview process for this new job was stressful, and I think this is where the anxiety started building. I had been told I had got the job but had to start in 10days. Given how long I had been with my current employer I was required to give 4 weeks notice. I had become quite close to my employer after 6 years do I decided to talk to her about possibly leaving with only 10 days notice. I felt physically ill leading up to our meeting, I wasn't eating and I was constantly worrying about this horrible conversation I was going to have. The news didn't go down well, she was very upset/ angry and disappointed in me. I felt like a horrible person, but I had no choice. i began my new job, not feeling so great and very nervous. The first week went by and everything was so new and overwhelming. I wasn't eating, which I thought was just from nerves, I just wasn't hungry. I would go to bed at night dreaming about all the information I had to remember and wake up in a panic. Friday I got sick, I went to bed and I could feel my heart racing, my whole body pulsing.. I had a fever of 38.5. I took myself to hospital and my resting heart rate was 150bpm (normal is around 70-90). I spent the night. I just wasn't myself, I was sad and a mess. Once home I just couldn't leave the house to go to work. I would work myself up with worry to the point of vomitting, still not eating. I ended up quitting my new job and going back to my previous work.. Things are good now.. But I worry I will never be able to move on to a new career..

Bluey_moon Intrusive thoughts and anxiety
  • replies: 7

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with GAD and obsessive thoughts. I also have a paranoia i,m developing scizophrenia. Lately my intrusive thoughts have been more like a voice (my voice). Like i'll my son i love him and suddenly i hear a thought, do ... View more

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with GAD and obsessive thoughts. I also have a paranoia i,m developing scizophrenia. Lately my intrusive thoughts have been more like a voice (my voice). Like i'll my son i love him and suddenly i hear a thought, do you really, very clearly, like a voice, but my voice ( i think but i self doubt a lot). Or i'll be playing with my kids and i'll hear myself say, "you wont be doing that when you dead", but i dont say it out loud only in my head. Is this normal, i have told my GP and a phyciatrist, but they think its just my thoughts? I'm so confused.

greeneyes91 Anxiety Symptoms are ruining my life
  • replies: 5

Hi guys. I am new to this site, to be honest I am all out of options and I guess wanted some tips from people going through the same thing. I have been severely ill now for nearly 3 years, struggling from ibs, sinus, constant stomach bugs and colds a... View more

Hi guys. I am new to this site, to be honest I am all out of options and I guess wanted some tips from people going through the same thing. I have been severely ill now for nearly 3 years, struggling from ibs, sinus, constant stomach bugs and colds and always feeling tired. I've had every test under the sun (even had my appendix removed) to try find out what is wrong, it so hard to believe that anxiety is causing all of this. I don't honestly remember a day where I didn't feel sick or light headed. I've missed so many days from work im worried I will lose my job. Im wondering if it is worth going down the road of medication? I have tried everything- except for medication. Ive done meditation, yoga, breathing courses, cbt, counselling, relaxation massage and nothing seems to help my symptoms. I am hoping someone will read this and understand how much this is ruining my life and all of my relationships in it as I never go out anymore, I am always sick and only 24 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated