FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Please help NEW JOB Xtreme Anxiety

Chloe90
Community Member

Hey Guys,

I started a new job 1 week ago and it has been the longest most exhausting week. I’ve cried nearly everyday and been anxious.

Prior to this I was handling my anxiety and depression quite well with medication and my part time job (approx 15-25 hours a week).

My new job is different hours 9-5 / 4 days a week so I’m not sure if that’s what has set me off.

I haven’t felt so terrible in a long time and I don’t know what to do. I guess I just want to hear other people’s stories does it get better, should I quit or will this make it worse?

Why can’t I be a normal person that goes to work. I don’t feel like myself and am thinking did I make a mistake leaving my other job??

Please help!!

2 Replies 2

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Chloe90,

It does sound like you are experiencing quite an upheaval and an escalation of your depression and anxiety due to your new job.

Can you pinpoint what it is that triggers you the lost? Is it because say you don't understand something at work? Could you ask someone for an explanation?

Can you change your morning routine to reduce any possible stress you have before you even leave for work?
Could you try some affirmations like : "Yes, I may become a little anxious today, but I can cope with that" or "Today I will manage to get through the day with helpful thoughts".

Can you break your day down into manageable chunks, hour by hour?

Allow yourself time to get used to a different work place and different structure of doing things.

Plan nice things to do on your days off.

When you get home, spend a few brief moments writing what didn't go well during your day, then write the things that did go well! Look at the not so good stuff and see if you can find ways to change what happened.

Hope some of this helps!

Cheers from Dools

Sophie_M
Hi Chloe90, welcome to the forums and it's great to see you've been getting such wonderful support from our members. 

When seeking support on the forums, we really encourage members to use one thread rather than starting new ones all the time. It's really difficult for the community to keep up with your story if you have a lot of threads going at once, and you may find yourself having to repeat information if your story is spread across the forum – sometimes our members will be repeating themselves as well if it's an issue you've had previously.  

Help us to support you by keeping to one thread, even if you're returning here after a period of time. There's a lot of value in seeing how someone's story evolves over time, and when facing a new crisis it's helpful to scroll back and see how you've coped previously.

We're going to close this thread off and suggest the conversation continues on your open thread below:

Anxiety has come back after starting New Job