FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My mum moved away and my depression is getting worse

anna630
Community Member

My mum moved away earlier this year for a job and because she met someone there. for the most part i’m happy for her but my depression has been getting worse as of a result of her moving. i just turn 20 and im living alone with my 15 year old brother as she’s gone for 2 or maybe more years. I have seen people say call every day or plan visits to see her but she has told me she didn’t want me to call her every day and she’s in a place that isn’t that easy to visit whenever (she’s regional) and i also have work. i’m not sure what to do anymore my depression is getting worse. i’m constantly upset and it has resulted in a few self harm incidents. i feel like im losing myself. she was my best friend and it’s hard to lose someone who was always there for you and then isn’t anymore and it hurts because i know she doesn’t feel the same way and me getting worse has only made our relationship suffer. i have been told to see a doctor but im scared ill be medicated and my mum has told me the side effect do make your symptoms of depression and anxiety worse for a while and i don’t trust myself to not do something stupid if my depression gets worse and i have no one at home. i have been trying to work on myself taking walks, listening to self help videos but i only get upset back where i started after a while.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Sad to hear of your struggles. I hope I can help. 

Family mean well, however with any sort of health issues especially mental health, professionals are the only way to go, with respect to your mother if you take prescribed medication your symptom in my experience doesnt get worse. What happens often is the medication takes up to 6 weeks to fully take effect. Then give it a couple of weeks and keep in touch with your GP, by phone if necessary or email if you work.

I'm living proof that medication prescribed for depression actually works. The hardest thing to perfect is dosage and regulating the frequency which is all done by your GP. A mental health issue is very serious so please, - family, friends, workmates, we are all different so no good listening to someone say "I'm on this or that and its wonderful"... 

Your self harm is also worrisome. It is another topic for your GP. So write these down and contact them. 

I have a few threads below, you only need to read the first post of each. 

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/worry-worry-worry/td-p/87808

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/depression-distraction-and-variety/td-p/275790

I also follow Maharaji Prem Rawat here is two that are good for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3aFh7OJMNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=BhrtbBrMQ1Y

He has helps of videos, great for relaxation. Remind yourself, you are a good person and you are supervising your sibling, thats really responsible. Well done

reply anytime

TonyWK

ABC01
Community Member

Dear anna630,

If you can identify that you are having problems, then you should address them to get help in ways that you are comfortable with. Medication may not be the first option offered to you. Sone type of speaking therapy might. Like a psychologist or counseller.

There are always risks of side effects to any medications,some maybe short term. Others may mean your body has a sensitivity to the medication and may need to be stopped. This has happened to me many times. But it has never stopped me from trying medication in conjunction with speaking therapy. Because being alone and not doing anything,means I stay where I am or worse.

A GP can get you in touch with a psychologist that could help you formulate strategies for when you are alone. Don’t be afraid to be honest.

Feeling the way you do is valid and overwhelming. You have a brother to look after.
But you do have choices and people to listen to you here.

I hope you can talk with others more and get a bigger picture to make a decision off.

There is always the hotline too.

Please treat yourself to some self care whilst trying to figure out your next move. You sound like you are on a good path to that already.

ABC01