FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Health anxiety

Sam1
Community Member

glandular fever

I hope everyone here are well. I’m writing to discuss something that has been on my mind regarding my health and well-being.

About five years ago, I was diagnosed with glandular fever but never have any symptoms Recently, I’ve come across some information suggesting that reinfection i like this can potentially lead to long-term effects or difficulties later in life. I have been through google and some reliable website as they mentioned ebv the virus that cause mono can lead so many dangerous conditions.Since reading this, I’ve found myself feeling increasingly anxious about how my experience with glandular fever might be affecting me now.

I’d appreciate your guidance on whether there are any lingering impacts I should be aware of or things I can do to manage this concern. If there are any recommended steps, screenings, or referrals that could ease my anxiety, I’d be grateful for your advice.

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sam1~

Welcome to the Forum, a good place to talk with others about problems, particularly is thay are an ongoing worry.

I'd have to say that using the internet to find anything medical-related can lead to a great deal of information that can be taken out of contest or is downright misleading. Additionally people tend to post the worst things, not the best.

The only site I would take any notice of would be the Government's site:

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/glandular-fever

And even then I would strongly recommend you see a GP who is knowledgeable about this condition so you get a realistic personalized account. I am sure that if did this you would see that this may not be a cause for such worry.

If you would like to let us know how you get on that would be great

Croix

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sam, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the forums. As someone who frequently experiences health anxiety, I can understand your concerns.

When you're feeling anxious about something health-related, there's nothing better than getting firsthand information from somebody in the field to let you know what may be going on, if anything. Do you have a regular GP? If you do, it may be useful to have a chat with them about what your concerns and what you may be able to do to prevent long-term consequences.

I hope this helps, if you're still feeling anxious, feel free to keep chatting with us and we'll do what we can to support you.

Take care, SB