FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I constantly feel like everyone hates me

Eoeon
Community Member

Hi! You can call me C, I am an 18 year old from Sydney

I live a pretty busy life, and come into contact with lots of people on the daily. I’m a student at University, I’m in the Kendo club, and I work 5 days a week for an airport company assisting people with special needs. 

Im actually pretty new to all of these things, and everyone I know is new.. but I have an issue. Everywhere I go, be it work, uni, or sport, I feel like everyone, no matter how friendly they are, if they invite me to things, call me, or treat me well, I feel like absolutely everyone thinks that I’m super annoying and hate me with a passion. I feel like even though there’s no actual signs of it, everyone is talking behind my back.

i know a few reasons why this might be happening - the aviation industry is incredibly toxic, and I am the youngest person at my company - I am generally unskilled at sports and am likely dragging others down (also while being one of the youngest) - I was bullied in primary school for having adhd

im really just looking for some advice on how to handle these thoughts. I’m generally fine while I’m out and about, but at the end of the day when I’m on my own, My head is filled with these horrible intrusive thoughts.

please help 

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Eoeon

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

In addition to posting in the forums, we also invite you to call or chat to one of our trained mental health professionals who will also be able to listen and offer care; it’s completely confidential and available 24/7:

To call us, contact 1300 22 4636
To use webchat, Click Here 

We’re sure you will hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello C, it's always brave to come to a MI forum and open up to people you don't know, but all of us have been through our own type of illness and understand what you're saying.

Unfortunately not only were you bullied at school but also you are suffering from ADHD and because of this, it doesn't open the door for self confidence.

This is something that needs to be brought out in you and it may not happen straight away but over a period in talking with someone who has the right strategies.

Remember you can still talk with us and hope this does happen, but you can also contact Kids Helpline (5-25) 1800 55 1800 by phone, web chat or online with trained counsellors and it's free.

What can happen is that you have a specific thought and from this it slowly builds up to become an intrusive thought, which you can't rationlise or dismiss it, so it sticks with you and reoccurrs at any opportunity, creating more problems, this is what you need to discuss with a counsellor to find ways on dismissing them.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Eoeon,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you are leading a full and exciting life, I am very sorry to hear it is overshadowed by these negative thoughts.

I have experienced something similar, battling a negative voice in my mind that tried to convince me that I am not liked by others... it's an awful thing to go through. 

For me, what has helped was to detach myself from this voice in my head by naming it and treating it like a separate entity. I call the mean voice in my head 'Barbara' and tell her to shut up and go away when she becomes noisy. It helps to remember we are not our thoughts, and the more we can disempower them, the quieter they can become.

I also think it would help for you to make efforts to help build your self-confidence. Positive self-talk is a great habit to build. Be kind to yourself and talk yourself up... Small habits like this add add to something meaningful in the long run. An example of this could be speaking in front of the mirror or writing in a journal to yourself and saying words of encouragement and love.