FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Catastrophic thoughts that take root in our thinking

powerchord007
Community Member

Hi All

My anxiety seems to have taken the form of brooding, catastrophic thoughts. Things I find abhorrent and opposite to my character, I worry that I'll spontaneously act on them, even though I know I never would. One 'go-to' example for my mind involves swerving to nudge a cyclist, or into an oncoming vehicle on a narrow highway. Not only that, but I project into a hypothetical catastrophic future/fallout from such an event. eg run into a cyclist > the cyclist doesn't survive > their family is understandably devastated  > my 'life' will be over > I'll be arrested, tried and receive a jail sentence etc. As if all of that isn't ludicrous enough, I then start to predict what will happen during incarceration, and it goes on and on. This occasionally impacts on my life activities, as I feel anxious the moment I know I have to drive somewhere on a certain route/s. If it's in 2 weeks' time, I'll feel anxious for the whole 2 weeks leading up to it, with my mind trying to convince me that all of these negative events will occur. I move between avoidance and occasional deliberate exposure, during which I'll practice driving down the coast where there are cyclists. Of course I never bump into any(!), although I sometimes feel a horrible tingling, a hot flush, and knotted stomach as I pass by them. I'm sure others have had similar unpleasant thought processes, with various coping techniques? Thanks for having a read, and I look forward to any responses 🙂 

8 Replies 8

blues23
Community Member

Hi powerchord 

im sorry your suffering such negative thoughts . Have you spoken to your gp for assistance? I haven’t experienced these types of thoughts myself but it must be extremely terrifying for you .my strategy for coping with my anxiety is to go for long walks , have hot showers See your gp for sure to  get some assistance and also Speak To beyond blue for assistance.

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi there.

Yes I experience the exact same thing. The pre-emptive worries are always much worse than the actual event. You mentioned "Of course I never bump into any(!)" ..... Well this is my coping-tool. When anxiety hits me, I try to remind myself that in the past I had been all worried about nothing. Then I try to distract myself away from the negative thought. Just keep telling yourself that the negative feelings will pass.

virtual hug from me. Take care.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi powerchord007,

Im so sorry you are feeling this way I understand how distressing this is to go through.

I also experienced a similar experience to your self I was always plagued by intrusive thoughts, I would have a what if questions to my intrusive thoughts this would in turn take me down a spiral and cause me extreme anxiety.

The intrusive thoughts went totally against everything I stood for as a person… my values..

I would always catastrophonize.

Intrusive thoughts are normal to experience but it’s when we get stuck on these thoughts that they become a problem and intervention is needed.

I was diagnosed with Severe anxiety OCD I was stuck in a vicious OCD cycle.

After receiving professional help I have now recovered from this condition.

I was put on a antidepressant and I did an 8 week group therapy it was an intervention into the OCD and it gave me all the tools I needed to master my condition.

I have now been free of this for many years.

Please ask me any questions 

You can have a chat to your gp about the thoughts you are experiencing and how it’s affecting your life.

When you feel as though you are going down the spiral try to bring your attention onto something in the present moment.

A clinical psychologist or psychiatrist can diagnose if you wanted to be diagnosed for what you are experiencing.

Please ask me any questions 

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Powerchord007, 

Thank you for sharing your experience, these thought patterns sound as though they can become quite taxing and inhibiting over time. I have had similar experiences and know just how incredibly consuming these thoughts can become. Personally, I've found that I've needed to acknowledge the thoughts that I am having as the first step towards helping me cope with them. I've then begun to challenge the thought patterns - what evidence is there to suggest that this will happen or that it is true, what is the likelihood that this would happen etc. I also found mindfulness to be incredibly helpful. Anxiety is very much future-orientated so learning and practicing how to shift your attention into the present moment is so great. I started off with learning how to deep breathe which helped me with alleviating the physical symptoms of anxiety and have tried out meditation too. 

I really hope that these can help you in some way and you can find some relief from your thoughts soon. Take care! 😊

Thanks blues23. Yes, in the past, my GP has referred to a clinical psychologist, who suggested some coping techniques. I also stay active and do a lot of walking.

Thanks Amanda! Yes, the living in the head aspect is always heaps worse! 

Thanks Petal22. I agree - it seems to a "values" thing. In that I worry I'll compromise my personal values in an irrational act that depending down I know won't occur. 

I was on medication for some years, which helped the alleviate anxiety attacks I was having for seemingly no reason. I don't have attacks as such anymore. I would still have intrusive thoughts regardless of whether I was on medication or not, so they weren't helping in that way. I feel it's good to occasionally share my thoughts on a forum, as it helps to know there are people who are listening and empathising. 

That’s ok powercord007,

I understand that when we are on medication it doesn’t stop the intrusive thoughts this is because having intrusive thoughts is normal but it’s our reactions to the intrusive thoughts that can become a problem and when we get stuck on them.

We can learn to change our reactions to our intrusive thoughts with the help of a health professional and we can also learn to challenge our beliefs about what we think it means we are as a person when we have these intrusive thoughts.

The OCD cycle is vicious first we have the intrusive thoughts then we put our attention on the intrusive thought , we then experience symptoms eg fearful, anxious, we then give our attention to the thoughts we ruminate, we question our morals, then we try have effects to control eg reassurance seeking 

Then we have something that stops this cycle eg something else comes up.

Its unrelenting…… 

With therapy we can learn to challenge our beliefs about our intrusive thoughts 

Focus our attention on the present moment rather than our intrusive thoughts 

We can learn to disengage from the OCD cycle.

Have you ever thought about seeking a diagnosis?

Once I was diagnosed I received the correct professional help and this led to freedom for me.

I believe anyone who suffers with intrusive thoughts has the ability to overcome what they are going through with the correct help.

I understand and I’m here to listen