FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ADHD - every day is either a high or a low - trying meds doesn’t seem to be working?

loz8927
Community Member

I’m 25 yo, knew I had ADHD my whole life just didn’t know what ADHD was if that makes sense. I have tics which will come as an urge and I’ll have to do the movement to get rid of the urge. In December I had a really bad flare up with tics and anxiety so I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me. I thought everything would get better and I’d feel normal but some days I feel like they make no difference some days i feel great & some days I feel so low and can go into such a dark place which is just terrifying. I just don’t know what to do anymore - I would never harm myself but I can see how in these awful moments where you don’t even recognise yourself why people do it

please any guidance on adhd medication? I am on daily ADHD medication. My tics haven’t gone they have reduced slightly. I just want them to stop.
I could have identical days with sleep, food, activity, amount of excerise etc and it’s just luck of the draw if I feel happy or extremely worried or depressed? Not wanting to live a life where I can wake up and have the most awful day for no reason 

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Dear loz8927,

Firstly, let us welcome you to the forums. We are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. Please feel free to express yourself and your concerns openly and without fear of judgement as this is a safe space.

It is good to hear you have sought and received professional diagnosis and treatment for your ADHD, despite the issues you have been experiencing. We just wanted to reassure you that ups, and downs are expected on your journey of recovery, unfortunately it is not a linear path and can often feel as though we are taking a step backwards to move forward.

We would encourage you to discuss these issues and any medication concerns with your Doctor to receive medical advice, as members of the community are only able to share their experiences and cannot provide that advice.

Until then we just wanted to say, we are always here for you. Please remember if you feel you need to talk through how you are feeling or honestly do just need a chat, please contact Beyond Blue either via phone  1300 22 4636 or through Beyond Blue Online Chat.

Alternatively we would also recommend the suicide call back service, they offer a range of contact methods that can be accessed via Suicide Callback Service or by giving them a call on 1300 659 467.

If at any point those feeling when in a “dark place” become overwhelming and you believe you may be at risk, or you no longer feel safe we urge you to contact emergency services on 000.

Thank you for trusting our supportive community and sharing your experiences, we hope you find the shared insights and advice of our members helpful on your journey of recovery.

Warm regards
Sophie M

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear loz8927, a warm welcome to the forums. 

I'm really glad you're reaching out for support. Sounds like you're having a really rough trot. 

I'm a little concerned your GP diagnosed you, prescribed meds and that was it? 
Is that how it went? 

I've only read one of your posts and I am not a MH professional. But I do have ADHD and Complex PTSD, was diagnosed with depression ages ago... mostly recovered from depression (mostly lol) and have managed ADHD and sought professional support for C-PTSD. I have a long term Counsellor. 

Each person is unique and we all have our own manifestations of different MHIs. 

But I can't shake this feeling after reading your post..... I'm not sure if I believe that the ADHD is the only diagnosis. The meds may not be helping and that's something you need to talk to your GP about. 
I would also ask for Mental Health Care Plan and referral to a Psychologist. Many people seek support from a Psychiatrist who, I understand, have the most knowledge about medications. Either Psychs can help you with that and simultaneously support you with guidance for your path. 

Please don't be alarmed or alarm yourself. 
Grounding and calming techniques can help alot until you get your appointments. You can learn a few from calling the BB Helpline. 

Wishing you well
Love EM