FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Chronic fatigue and anxiety

Chicogirl
Community Member

Hi everyone

I've struggled with anxiety all my life however have developed chronic fatigue after experiencing a very difficult 2 years. My GP has ruled out anything physical so I'm thinking this ongoing fatigue is anxiety related. My job is quite stressful and causes me high anxiety some days. Has anyone else experienced this type of chronic fatigue? Does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do? Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Out_the_window
Community Member
Hi Chicogirl, yes ive got chronic fatigue syndrome. Mostly triggered by a physical problem i had. But i do know diet and a good health expert can help. Its very frustrating I know, as your always struggling with not enough energy and anxiety taxes energy levels as well. I ask for advice at health shops and chemists. Then do my own research. All the best...

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Chicogirl, absolutely, depression/anxiety always make you so tired, then if you start taking medication this will add on to how you feel, it's part of the illness, but will certainly be increased if your job is stressful, so whether or not you are able to look for another job may help you.
What can also happen is if your job is putting a lot of pressure on you, then you are going to be kept in this fatigue syndrome, and it will be passed onto your home environment.
Ask your doctor to help you out with some counselling and whether taking any antidepressants (AD) maybe able to help you as well.
You can't sit around and not do everything to try and help your situation, you need just a bit of strength to seek help.
I'm retired but I sleep a hell of lot, including a cat nap during the day, otherwise I couldn't cope. Geoff.

luft_
Community Member

Hi Chico girl,

I have sometimes suspected I have chronic fatigue, and know what it's like to feel exhausted.

My father has it, as did my grandmother when she was alive. My dad has taken medication for over 30 years and it has helped enormously, once he got used to it. The medication treated both his CFS and anxiety, but it takes some time. Other things that will help are meditation and speaking to a psychologist who can help with relaxation. My dad also has a nap every lunch time, even at work, which helps.

You can have a successful life with CFS and anxiety. My nana was one of the most productive people I ever met once she began treatment. I believe she developed CFS after a period of high anxiety + an illness.

Good luck and I hope you feel better too.

lostboy
Community Member

Hi Chicogirl

I also struggle with both ME/CFS and Anxiety. Although I have been managing CFS for 6 years, anxiety has always been prevalent but it has only been in the past 2 or 3 years that the Anxiety has increasingly gotten worse.

The best method i have found is talking to trusted people and seeking advice, watching your diet and exercise (within your limits). Admittedly, I haven't found how to manage people or impacts of work as yet, I think this is the biggest issue I face, sounds like you may as well. I believe I need to change my job but it isn't always as easy as it sounds.

I would like to know if you have found any support at work ? I am trying to identify ways at the moment, especially to manage work while I find the right change.

wanderer0302
Community Member

Hi Chicogirl,

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue early last year and still struggling with it now. I found getting support from the people around me is what helped most. Your family and friends will never understand exactly how you are feeling unless they have experienced chronic fatigue, but trying to explain it so they can see what you are going through will really help them to help you. Always put yourself and your health before your work and try not to over work yourself because that will drain your energy even more. It is incredibly hard to balance everything while battling chronic fatigue but try and get regular sleep and talk about how you are feeling. Although that may not help with your energy, it will help you clear your head which is also a factor in how tired you are.

Wish you all the best x

Usernamesareweird
Community Member
Hi chicoGirl, I also have chronic fatigue and anxiety it's nice to hear someone understands what it's like. It's really annoying why the doctors not helping much. I think I got it was getting glandular fever and overworking all my sports