FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Arachnophobia

JustAnYtka
Community Member

Tw: Please don't read this if talk of spiders distresses you

I couldn't find any discussions about phobias so I thought I'd make one. 

I have (undiagnosed) arachnophobia, and tonight for whatever reason I decided to look under my bed and boom, big black spider. I woke my mum up and she came in and removed the spider but now I'm feeling very paranoid, like there are spiders everywhere and crawling all over me. I really need to get to sleep but I can't stop thinking about spiders. I feel like as soon as I turn off my light or close my eyes that one will crawl on me or fall on me. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm my brain down? I'm currently laying under my weighted blanket and cuddling a stuffed toy which is helping enough to not be constantly looking around but I'm not able to sleep.

Thanks,

Bee

4 Replies 4

sparrowhawk
Community Member

Hi JustAnYtka, and welcome.

I do not have a phobia, but can appreciate how difficult your experience must have been for you. With strong anxieties, even if the trigger itself is removed the threat or feeling can linger. There is also always a root for these strong anxieties. Do you know how long you have been affected by arachnophobia, and if anything in particular was the trigger? Is your mother aware of how strong your anxiety is?

Your strategies of a weighted blanket and something comforting are good ones. I wonder how you are doing now, and if you were able to sleep even a little. You could try something very distracting, like listening to music, watching a TV show, or speaking to someone - anything to take your mind away from the circular thoughts that come with anxiety. 

I hope you are doing better today.

Hey sparrowhawk,

I really appreciate the response.

I've had a severe fear of spiders for probably at least 3 or 4 years, but there was no particular "event" that triggered it and it's seemed to have gotten worse over time. I actually used to love spiders and even had a couple pet ones (just like daddy long legs) around the house.

I think my mum is sort of aware of the extent? She has seen effects like anxiety attacks and freeze responses but I dont think she knows the extent of the fear.

I did manage to fall asleep after a couple hours, but I'm still very wary and a bit paranoid about going to sleep tonight.

I find that distractions don't tend to work because I worry that as soon as I stop paying attention, a spider will emerge from under my bed.

I'm definitely doing better today but there is still a tiny feeling on panic whenever I'm near my bed.

I'll absolutely bring this up in my next psychology appointment.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Bee

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JustAnYtka, having any phobia is awful, but you can get help from a psychologist or you can try doing this yourself or both.

If you google 'desensitisation' then it shows you how to overcome this fear either by yourselfor how a psych can teach you to overcome this phobia, it might be worth doing and please let us know how you get on.

Geoff.

Life Member.

theo-m
Community Member

I have a phobia too, and I know how hard it is to make myself feel safe after getting triggered by it. Using soft toys & blankets is my No. 1 soothing method. In terms of being able to sleep, I got a nightlight so I could see for sure that nothing was coming for me when I was trying to fall asleep. Tapping my body in a rhythm can help me as well.

But also certainly bring this up with a professional, there is probably therapy for it!