FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Unable to Function

anxiousqueen
Community Member

2022 was overall a very challenging year for me - my anxiety and disordered eating got worse and worse and then my Grandma suddenly passed away on November 24 (same year). 

Physically i am super weak in life lately (i do also have auto immune issues) and cannot function at all these past 2 weeks.

To put it "simply," i've been stuck in such a bleak position of survival mode for the past 3 months - i feel nothing else but extreme anxiety, stress and depression too.

I just feel like my head doesn't work, physically or otherwise - i cannot function overall - this is my only constant in life. It's super frightening but also equally as depressing. 

I thank you in advance for taking your time on this post but equally apologise for my delay in reading/responding to you.

As i mentioned my head isn't right and is making it super tough for me to do anything. 

~ with love, 

anxiousqueen 

4 Replies 4

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there anxiousqueen,

I am sorry you are having a tough time. As someone else with anxiety and an autoimmune disease, I feel you. You are not alone! It is hard to feel well mentally when you are having a flare up physically. The stressful life events you have been through recently would cause anyone to feel anxious. Please be kind to yourself. It is okay to rest, especially when your physical health is not 100%. I know it can be hard having an autoimmune disease as we are not 100% often and have to work extra hard at times to keep up with the average person without any health problems, so don't feel bad about resting - you are doing great. Sometimes your mind needs to rest too.

Have you spoken to your doctor or a mental health professional about how you have been feeling? This might be able to help you. 

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello anxiousqueen, firstly I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandmother, you must have been very close.

When you suffer from what you have told us, then it makes our life so difficult and complete because we don't know where to start, and where ever we try we can't achieve what we had wanted to, so we tend to give up, that's what this illness does.

At the moment we can't do the impossible and need to go back to the very basics and slowly build up with the help of a counsellor.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Hi Jaz, 

Thank you for your kind words of relatability and support. 🙂 Apart from my Mum, i don't know of anyone else (offline) that has auto-immune issues. It can feel so isolating. 

Being kinder to myself when it comes to taking pressure off myself and resting is something I'm currently working on - this can be harder to do when i need extended time doing little to nothing, like at the moment. 

That's something that i keep telling myself too - that I've been/am going through a lot lately, so it's only a given that my anxiety is maintaing at it's heightened position. 

Touching base with my doctor is something i haven't done in a while but i will definitely consider this, as well as seeing what other professionals i might be able to reach out to as well. This has become increasingly difficult for me to do since my body has been weaker though and my low weight most definitely isn't helping with this but I'll see what i can do.

Thanking you again! 

~ anxiousqueen xx

Hi Geoff, 

Thank you for your condolences. 

Yes - going back to the basics is what I've done or rather it has been chosen for me!

I feel like my battle with myself is that i feel like i should be able to "do better".

I compare my current self to my "better" past self and yet i know this mindset won't serve me well present day (it hasn't so far!).

I feel like i need to be able to make peace with where I'm at and remind myself that there are no quick fixes or big steps that I'm able to take and that this is okay and normal..

Currently, i am trying to do everything on my own which probably isn't helping. I'll see what steps i can take in finding the right professional support i need right now. 

Thanking you, 

~ anxiousqueen