FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hot Tips & Tricks

mrs-brown
Community Member

Hey all,

I suffer from anxiety (as I’m sure most of you do) so I was hoping you could leave a comment with how you calm yourself when your anxiety peaks? 
My biggest symptoms are shortness of breath, heart palpitations, irrational thoughts and hot flushes. I don’t really have any self taught skills to help me when my anxiety peaks, so I just thought I’d jump on here and see how you all try manage your anxiety💓

4 Replies 4

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear mrs-brown,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums,

I’m sorry you’re struggling with anxiety, I also have anxiety and find when I’m having a panic attack, deep breathing helps me a lot, counting and listening to each breath  at night when I get into bed I listen to sleep stories, which I fall asleep to…Things that work for one person, might not work for others…

When we’re having and anxiety attack, it’s best to try to redirect our focus off what’s happening to your body and onto something else that helps to ground us….trying to distract your concentration onto, Listening and singing along with a song you like, meditation, deep breathing, a hobby you enjoy doing…

We have a thread here on the forums titled…”Grounding yourself, what is it and how do we”….You can search the title in the search bar, there’s lots of great suggestions on grounding ourselves through an anxiety attack….that might help you…

My anxiety was hard for me to manage, so I talked to my GP about what I was going through and she set me up with a mental health care plan, which included counselling with a professional…is this something that you might consider?..

Talk here when you feel up to it…

My kindest thoughts dear Mrs-brown..

Grandy..

theo-m
Community Member

Definitely I suggest looking up breathing techniques. And maybe have a collection of calming pictures and videos on your phone (I have mostly wombats), to distract you from your thoughts.

JED1980
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello!

I colour in. It helps calm me.

I also talk to my anxiety. He has a name, Pedro, and i talk to him and by calming him (so to speak) i calm me.

I also try and pop him in a box and shut the lid.

I hope you are doing ok

Jx

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi mrs-brown,

What works best for me is going to the nature, particularly, hiking, camping or surfing.

When I don't have a lot of time, maintaining a regular exercise is helpful, for example, having a walk, running or swimming in the morning. Listening to birdsong is therapeutic for me.

Mark