FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety/ Panic attacks

Damien21
Community Member

Hey everyone this is my first ever post, I had my first ever panic attack around 6 months ago and I had a few more after that but they went away eventually and I was Allgood but just recently within the last week I’ve been having panic attacks that don’t go away, I constantly feel like I’m having an attack, I’m constantly worrying and I don’t feel good at all, I get super shaky and I start trembling and my heart races and I can’t seem to calm myself, I’m not really one to write something like this I just really need to reach out to people, I feel very alone like no one understands me, Thankyou everyone 

3 Replies 3

theo-m
Community Member

Oh that sounds super rough, I go through phases of being in that state of constant panic, but for me at least, they do taper off. I recommend talking to a professional who can give you techniques to manage them.

Something that helps me is clapping my hands, or stamping my feet to give me a reminder of there is parts of my body I do control. I also suggest colour based grounding (finding something that's red, blue, green, yellow, pink, orange, purple, black, brown). It forces you to take focus away from the awful physical sensations.

Of course, these may not work for you, everyone's different. But you are strong for getting through this awful time, and it's really good that you reached out!

JED1980
Community Champion
Community Champion

First of all, you are not alone.  We here on the forums are always here to listen. Anytime 🙂 

Has something triggered you? Or has the anxiety just crept back in?  

Best course of action would be to go see your GP and have a chat and get a referral to a psychologist, who can help you figure out what's causing the attacks and give you some techniques on how to possibly deal with them.

Again, you are not alone 

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Jx

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Damien21,

Your symptoms seems typical for panic attacks, and it's no uncommon for people in this forum. We do understand this terrible feeling.

Do you have any idea what could be the trigger for the recent attacks, and are you considering seeking professional help such as seeking a doctor or a psychologist? There is an easier and faster thing you can do if you want - to ring Beyondblue 24/7 hotline and talk to a professional over the phone. I believe you will get some guidance.

Hope everything will be better.

Mark