FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety

Annalee
Community Member

It is so hard to live with anxiety some days I can barely breathe and get panic attacks then I feel stupid for overthinking things. I try so hard but it doesn’t take much for anxiety to take hold

3 Replies 3

Junior1962
Community Member

Hi there

Anxiety can be crippling and even somewhat depressing.

Two things come to mind here -

1/ Secondary anxiety.  While one is struggling with physiological anxiety, it is easy to then fall into a pattern of worrying about what is causing it, such as various illnesses.  This actually adds to the experience.  To give you an example, a few years ago I had some dental issues that morphed into a triple abscess.  One night I couldn't fall asleep despite two sleeping tablets and two pain killers.  The pain was nuts.  It was pulsating.  Then I remembered something I learned in psychology some years ago at uni. The way we think influences what goes on in our bodies.  I was making things worse by worrying about the pain. So i started taking some deep breaths and working on calming my body and lo and behold, the pulsating feeling and pain settled.  I was able to drift off into a solid sleep.

2/ Have you ever been to a therapist?  Mindfulness and CBT are both really good for anxiety. As are things like yoga and meditation. CBT aims to help you to change your thinking patterns.  It is really good for anxiety.

Overthinking is a classic symptom of anxiety but you can learn to change it.  It takes time and effort but it can be done. A lot of the time it is actually about realising that you don't need to know; you don't need to get to the bottom of it.  It is ok. You can just let it go.  

My suggestion is that when you are struggling to breathe and go into panic mode, practice taking slow, deep breaths. Spend a few minutes doing this and your mind and body should settle. 

thank you I am starting yoga classes and practicing meditation 

BharatPatel
Community Member

I understand how difficult it can be to live with anxiety. It can be overwhelming and take over your thoughts and feelings, making everyday tasks difficult to accomplish. It's important to remember that you're not alone and that many people struggle with anxiety. You're not stupid for overthinking things, that's a common symptom of anxiety and a sign that your brain is trying to protect you.

Here are some things that might help:

1) Practice relaxation techniques such as Reiki, Shirodhara or yoga.

2) Exercise regularly, as it can help reduce stress and anxiety.

3) Talk to someone you trust, such as a friend or family member, or consider seeking the help of a therapist or counsellor.

4) Challenge your negative thoughts by questioning the evidence for and against them, and trying to find a more balanced perspective.

5) Make time for things you enjoy and try to have fun, even on days when you're feeling overwhelmed.

Remember to be kind to yourself and give yourself credit for taking steps to manage your anxiety. It's a journey, not a destination, and it's okay to take things one day at a time.