FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Catastrophising

Katesb05
Community Member

Anxiety symptom catastrophising, seems 1 tiny problem ends up so big, I've made it into a huge problem in my mind that willhave 1% chance of happening, but in my head, it will definitely happen...anyone else have strategies to deal with this??

5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Catastrophising like intrusive thoughts is treatable, I know this as I was under therapy for 12 months way back in 1987. My therapist identified a problem I was actually unaware of in that he's ask me how the week was and I'd talk about all sorts of thoughts that were unrealistic or our of proportion. Gradually he'd get me to separate these thoughts into two groups- unrealistic and realistic. If unrealistic I'd practice distraction and meditation as well as saying out loud "that isnt going to happen" or "the petrol crisis is out of my control so worrying isnt going to cure it" and so on.

I had a few threads pertaining to these topics that might help. Just need to read the first post of each if you dont feel like reading more.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/living-in-fear-or-fearless-living/td-p/548514

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/worry-worry-worry/td-p/87808

Repost anytime

TonyWK

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Katesb05,

I am sorry you are going through this. I have been through similar, so I know how you feel. I have anxiety and often am catastrophising in my mind, and making a small problem seem bigger than it is. At first I did not know how to deal with it, but once I went to a psychologist and learnt strategies to deal with it, I could manage it better. I would suggest that you do the same, a psychologist could really help your situation. Have you considered this?

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Katesb05

I've found it pays to ask 'Do I hear the worst case scenario or do I see it or is it a bit of both?' One thing I never have to wonder about is whether I can feel it. It tends to trigger my nervous system every time.

Seeing it in my mind's a massive challenge. How to see differently is part of the challenge. Sometimes if I can't manage to see differently, I pick one of my go to people who help me see. What they lead me to see may have to be very specific in some cases. For example, if I can see no way out of an anxiety inducing situation, they may have to give step by step directions such as 'Okay, now breathe. Get up out of the chair, and go and do _____. Once you've done that, I then want you to go and do _____. I'll be by later today to discuss what we can do regarding seeing the way forward'. I can see all that, in my mind, as achievable steps.

Hearing worst case scenario (through inner dialogue) could sound like 'There's no way you'll be able to cope with that. It's beyond your ability. Things are just going to get worse and worse'. Sometimes if the old 'angel on one shoulder, devil on the other' strategy doesn't work (if that rotten little devil's leading me to stress, what would the divine dialogue sound like?), again I might have to find a go to person to begin shifting the dialogue.

Figuring out I was raised to see and hear worst case scenarios has been an eye opener. You could say I was somewhat conditioned. Not my mum's fault no one led her to see otherwise plus there has been a fair amount of worst case scenarios play out in her life, her mum's life and probably those that came before them. I think it became a matter of 'If I can see what's ahead of me, regarding the worst, at least I'll be prepared'.

We can come from a long line of seers who've never been led to see differently. You can be the 1st in a long line to finally accept and master the challenge.

worriedandlost
Community Member

I am doing this at the moment as well and its affecting my health and my new relationship when i shouldnt be so worried 

i have tried meditation and breathing but just talking to other close people seems to help a bit

theo-m
Community Member

Something that helped me was going "well. let's say this problem is going to turn out that way. how would I deal with it?" and making a 2 min plan of how I approach that problem.

This allowed to me turn to my catastrophising and say "hey, I've made a plan for if this happens, but since it's not happening now, can I have some peace?"

Obviously didn't work the 3rd or 10th or 20th time, but after 10 years, it's started working pretty consistently.

And in that time, some of the things I catastrophised came about, but because I had my plan, and it worked, my anxiety couldn't use it as an example situation to make the rest my thoughts worse.

May not work for you, and that's ok! Every brain is different!