FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety Sore throat

bill12345
Community Member
Hi, I’ve just graduated high school and am going away for a schoolies weekend trip away tomorrow with my friends and girlfriend to celebrate. I have been diagnosed with mild anxiety and OCD for the last 3 years and due to this, this past week i’ve been really worried about getting sick because i didn’t want anything to ruin my big weekend. I was washing my hands frequently and always thinking about germs and stuff and a few days ago i started getting weird sensations in my throat which moved onto it being sore and feel weird when i swallow. I am now leaving tomorrow and i’ve been so worried these last couple of days as i can’t work out if i have a throat infection cause it’s the only symptom i have or if this is caused by my health anxiety. I feel filled with anger as i did everything to avoid this and now i seem suspicious that as my throat is sore, that is is caused by my anxiety. The last couple of days i have taken pain relief, strepsils and gargled salt water non stop to hopefully get rid of it but it is still here which is why i don’t understand if i’m sick or it’s anxiety. I so badly just want to forget about it and have a hood weekend but know cause i’ve looked online and researched i worry that i won’t be able to kiss my girlfriend due to my throat and i’ll be constantly thinking about it but i don’t even know if i’m sick. I focus on every swallow now and check if the pain is still there and i can’t get it out of my head, i looked in my throat and saw some lumps but i don’t know if there usually there and then my mind connects with the internet and feels me i’ve got an infection but i just want to enjoy my time away with my gf as mush as i can. I feel like the roof of my mouth is being just constantly pushed and my throat still hurts a bit when i swallow but i just don’t know if it’s anxiety or not. I also have bad allergies so it could be from that but the uncertainty is killing me, sorry for the long post, does anyone else get sore throats from anxiety
4 Replies 4

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey there,

It sounds like you're going through a lot right now because of that sore throat. I understand how health anxieties can cause us to spiral into a doomsday scenario (I've done that myself too many times!). Can I suggest you see a GP to get that throat checked? I don't think there's anything wrong with you, actually. But I hope that by seeing a GP and getting a professional opinion, you'll feel less anxious about it.

Kindly,
M

bill12345
Community Member
Hi thanks for the quick reply, i’m not able to see a gp because i leave tomorrow morning and they usually just tell me to have a COVID test even though i’ve had two negatives previously, i’m just really stressing out because i don’t want to make my girlfriend sick or anything but i also really want to be around her and kiss her cause i haven’t seen her in a while so i’m just not sure what to do

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello bill,

Congratulations on your graduating from high school..

I think the more we worry about things and put most of our concentration trying to notice any small changes with what your feeling, trying to feel every time we swallow if it’s a bit better or not...makes the feelings escalate even if nothing is wrong..

I think it might magically disappear tomorrow when your mind is on your friends, your plans, and talking together in your groups etc...for your schoolies week....

I would gently suggest..that if it’s still sore..once you get to your destination you could go to a local dr. or hospital while your there...just to be sure...to calm your mind..

I hope you have a great time and enjoy yourself..

My kindest and caring thoughts..

Grandy...

bill12345
Community Member
Hi, thanks for the reply, it did calm down a bit after i wasn’t thinking about it but now it’s back and i won’t be able to go to a doctor because i don’t have my license and i don’t really want to tell my friends but i’m hoping it’s all to do with anxiety